Newbie but love it to bits!!!!

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
      Been kiting now for about 6 months or so, awaiting my kite-surf
      lesson at the end of this month in North Wales. Quiver comprises of
      9mtr Strike Gangsta, 9mtr Guerrilla2, 12mtr X3, 16mtr V4, 19mtr '04
      Fuel, 25mtr V4. I have a couple of `just knocking around on the
      beach' kites, 3mtr Airush Trainer, 3.6mtr Blaster (bespoke) and
      5.5mtr Bullet. I purchased a TRAMPA ATB in a hope to get some boardy
      type practice in on beach/grass, with MBS everything (and the nice
      enclosed chuckz) whole thing cost £350.00 from TRAMPA. To outline,
      I'm a pretty chunky geezer at approx 21-22 stone (308 lb) arghhhh,
      But I can wakeboard and windsurf pretty well and have instructed both
      in the past. I love sand based flying, can get myself air-born and
      land in decent style after a 15mtr jump (horizontal not vertical :o)
      like using the Guerrilla `cos its drags my extended bulk around like
      I'm a 10 stoner. Did quite a bit of skate boarding in my younger
      years, and with the wakeboarding experience I thought ATB YEAH!
      But….. erum…. I can't seem to combine ATB and kite, I just wobble
      like mad and have to dive the kite all over to keep any type of power
      there. What do I have to do to keep the kite stable and full of wind.
      Now picture my 308 pound bulk + board sinking into the sand while
      powering up the kite, then WUMP the kites full but my board aint
      moving, and im popped out of the straps like a cork. Will my kite-
      surf tutorial relate to ATB'ing do you recon? Kind of understand that
      to water start a board you do gain a fair bit of DoWi to start with,
      like beach starting a wake board on a cable ski, you don't set off on
      an edge, know what I mean? I can ATB though downhill pretty good, can
      hop and 180/360. SOOO if anyone has any advice how to actually START
      an ATB with kite, more than appreciative.

      Mark
      (Sheffield UK)
    • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2005
        Hi
        Sounds to me like soft sand and small footprint tires is the problem. You would need a lot
        of power to dig out of soft sand and get rolling. Do you have the same problem on hard
        packed sand or grass? It's generally pretty easy to get rolling on wheels.

        Steve
        Carson City, Nevada, USA

        07/26/05 5:26:01 AM, "Mark" <mrmawalker@...> wrote:

        >Been kiting now for about 6 months or so, awaiting my kite-surf
        >lesson at the end of this month in North Wales. Quiver comprises of
        >9mtr Strike Gangsta, 9mtr Guerrilla2, 12mtr X3, 16mtr V4, 19mtr '04
        >Fuel, 25mtr V4. I have a couple of `just knocking around on the
        >beach' kites, 3mtr Airush Trainer, 3.6mtr Blaster (bespoke) and
        >5.5mtr Bullet. I purchased a TRAMPA ATB in a hope to get some boardy
        >type practice in on beach/grass, with MBS everything (and the nice
        >enclosed chuckz) whole thing cost £350.00 from TRAMPA. To outline,
        >I'm a pretty chunky geezer at approx 21-22 stone (308 lb) arghhhh,
        >But I can wakeboard and windsurf pretty well and have instructed both
        >in the past. I love sand based flying, can get myself air-born and
        >land in decent style after a 15mtr jump (horizontal not vertical :o)
        >like using the Guerrilla `cos its drags my extended bulk around like
        >I'm a 10 stoner. Did quite a bit of skate boarding in my younger
        >years, and with the wakeboarding experience I thought ATB YEAH!
        >But?.. erum?. I can't seem to combine ATB and kite, I just wobble
        >like mad and have to dive the kite all over to keep any type of power
        >there. What do I have to do to keep the kite stable and full of wind.
        >Now picture my 308 pound bulk + board sinking into the sand while
        >powering up the kite, then WUMP the kites full but my board aint
        >moving, and im popped out of the straps like a cork. Will my kite-
        >surf tutorial relate to ATB'ing do you recon? Kind of understand that
        >to water start a board you do gain a fair bit of DoWi to start with,
        >like beach starting a wake board on a cable ski, you don't set off on
        >an edge, know what I mean? I can ATB though downhill pretty good, can
        >hop and 180/360. SOOO if anyone has any advice how to actually START
        >an ATB with kite, more than appreciative.
        >
        >Mark
        >(Sheffield UK)

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 27, 2005
          Cheers Mate

          Not very hard packed now, beach was a bit damp of this day too which
          didnt help I think. Been on short cut grass and was miles better.
          Gonn contact Trampa to see if they will send me some replacement
          tyres, as I think ive paid enough for the board thus far at £350....

          Cheers
          Mark

          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===