Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring: breakage?

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
      If you wish to further strengthen the Q-PowerLine at the attachment
      point and wish to do it with sleeving. Contact me directly and I will
      give you a small piece of sleeving made from Q-Fusion (armored spectra)
      to try out.

      Regards,
      Brian

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:05:38 EDT
      From: georgeiw@...
      Subject: Re: Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring:
      break...

      Qline can take a lot and rarely breaks but it does break. I think a
      sleeve
      on the q-line would be very very strong.
      George

    • Brian Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
        Dave is correct. Extra turns on the ring before finishing the knot will
        definitely spread out the load. This is the same technique we use when
        tensile testing line. The line is wrapped several times (8 to be exact)
        around a large diameter post as a termination point. 8 times is
        excessive, but is used to ensure that the line can only break in the
        middle. So one or two extra turns (providing the turns are on the ring
        only and not over the line) will help spread out the load.

        Brian

        Message: 1
        Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:42:04 -0000
        From: "Dave Culp" <dave@...>
        breakage?

        Everything I know about knots suggests that Brian is right here. I
        wonder if it'd help, too, to
        take one or more round turns around the ring before finishing the knot?
        Takes some force off
        the knot and puts it in the larger diameter round turns.

        I've never had troubles with knots in Q-PowerLine. Good stuff.

        Dave Culp
        www.kiteship.com