Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring: breakage?

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
      If the steel ring is smooth the Q-PowerLine should actually wear better
      than when tied to a leader line as the load on the line is more evenly
      distributed. A lot depends on the diameter of the rod that the steel
      ring is made out of.

      If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

      Brian Smith
      PowerLine Sports
      Q-PowerLine

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:47:19 -0000
      From: "ichiman1" <ichiman1@...>
      Subject: Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring:
      breakage?

      Do you have experience tying Q-power directly to the safety release
      steel ring instead of using a small piece of leader rope?
      I wonder if Q-power larks head on steel instead of on a leader line is
      more prone to breakage and wear. Thanks for info.

    • Dave Culp
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
        Everything I know about knots suggests that Brian is right here. I wonder if it'd help, too, to
        take one or more round turns around the ring before finishing the knot? Takes some force off
        the knot and puts it in the larger diameter round turns.

        I've never had troubles with knots in Q-PowerLine. Good stuff.

        Dave Culp
        www.kiteship.com

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Smith" <bsmith@P...> wrote:

        > If the steel ring is smooth the Q-PowerLine should actually wear better
        > than when tied to a leader line as the load on the line is more evenly
        > distributed. A lot depends on the diameter of the rod that the steel
        > ring is made out of.
        >
        > If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
        >
        > Brian Smith
        > PowerLine Sports
        > Q-PowerLine
      • Brian Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
          If you wish to further strengthen the Q-PowerLine at the attachment
          point and wish to do it with sleeving. Contact me directly and I will
          give you a small piece of sleeving made from Q-Fusion (armored spectra)
          to try out.

          Regards,
          Brian

          Message: 2
          Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:05:38 EDT
          From: georgeiw@...
          break...

          Qline can take a lot and rarely breaks but it does break. I think a
          sleeve
          on the q-line would be very very strong.
          George

        • Brian Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
            Dave is correct. Extra turns on the ring before finishing the knot will
            definitely spread out the load. This is the same technique we use when
            tensile testing line. The line is wrapped several times (8 to be exact)
            around a large diameter post as a termination point. 8 times is
            excessive, but is used to ensure that the line can only break in the
            middle. So one or two extra turns (providing the turns are on the ring
            only and not over the line) will help spread out the load.

            Brian

            Message: 1
            Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:42:04 -0000
            From: "Dave Culp" <dave@...>