Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring: breakage?

  • ichiman1
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
      Do you have experience tying Q-power directly to the safety release
      steel ring instead of using a small piece of leader rope?
      I wonder if Q-power larks head on steel instead of on a leader line is
      more prone to breakage and wear. Thanks for info.
    • Myron
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
        > Do you have experience tying Q-power directly to the safety release
        > steel ring instead of using a small piece of leader rope?
        > I wonder if Q-power larks head on steel instead of on a leader line
        is
        > more prone to breakage and wear. Thanks for info.

        I have been tying Q-Power directly to the steel ring for a couple of
        years now. I just recently cut off the loops and retied them due to
        some wear (the wear did not look as bad as the snowboard cut in the
        line just above it). I used to sleeve the Q-Power in those areas for
        extra abrasion resistance. That made the loops very bulky.

        Myron
      • Brian Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
          If the steel ring is smooth the Q-PowerLine should actually wear better
          than when tied to a leader line as the load on the line is more evenly
          distributed. A lot depends on the diameter of the rod that the steel
          ring is made out of.

          If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

          Brian Smith
          PowerLine Sports
          Q-PowerLine

          Message: 1
          Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:47:19 -0000
          From: "ichiman1" <ichiman1@...>
          Subject: Tying Q-Power pro directly on to safety release steel ring:
          breakage?

          Do you have experience tying Q-power directly to the safety release
          steel ring instead of using a small piece of leader rope?
          I wonder if Q-power larks head on steel instead of on a leader line is
          more prone to breakage and wear. Thanks for info.

        • Dave Culp
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2005
            Everything I know about knots suggests that Brian is right here. I wonder if it'd help, too, to
            take one or more round turns around the ring before finishing the knot? Takes some force off
            the knot and puts it in the larger diameter round turns.

            I've never had troubles with knots in Q-PowerLine. Good stuff.

            Dave Culp
            www.kiteship.com

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Smith" <bsmith@P...> wrote:

            > If the steel ring is smooth the Q-PowerLine should actually wear better
            > than when tied to a leader line as the load on the line is more evenly
            > distributed. A lot depends on the diameter of the rod that the steel
            > ring is made out of.
            >
            > If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
            >
            > Brian Smith
            > PowerLine Sports
            > Q-PowerLine
          • Brian Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 19, 2005
              If you wish to further strengthen the Q-PowerLine at the attachment
              point and wish to do it with sleeving. Contact me directly and I will
              give you a small piece of sleeving made from Q-Fusion (armored spectra)
              to try out.

              Regards,
              Brian

              Message: 2
              Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:05:38 EDT
              From: georgeiw@...
              break...

              Qline can take a lot and rarely breaks but it does break. I think a
              sleeve
              on the q-line would be very very strong.
              George

            • Brian Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 20, 2005
                Dave is correct. Extra turns on the ring before finishing the knot will
                definitely spread out the load. This is the same technique we use when
                tensile testing line. The line is wrapped several times (8 to be exact)
                around a large diameter post as a termination point. 8 times is
                excessive, but is used to ensure that the line can only break in the
                middle. So one or two extra turns (providing the turns are on the ring
                only and not over the line) will help spread out the load.

                Brian

                Message: 1
                Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:42:04 -0000
                From: "Dave Culp" <dave@...>