War Over Weather

  • Mykl Silva
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2005
      Taken from another group I¹m on. Many of you, I¹m sure, already know of
      this, nevertheless, it¹s relevant to our hobbies, and important to be kept
      aware of such despicable things. I have already sent letters to my
      congresspeople, I urge others who haven¹t yet, to do so.

      On 6/20/05 11:24 PM, "The Fiedlers" <fiedler1@...> wrote:

      > Shocking what the government attempts!
      >

      > WAR OVER THE WEATHER
      > It's an unseasonably fluky day when a member of Congress tries to
      > punish a government entity for doing too good of a job. In this case,
      > the National Weather Service apparently has been putting out too much
      > useful information. Its graphics and Web site are more user-friendly
      > and better-organized than ever. Its forecasts are clear and concise.
      > And it's free. For shame!
      >
      > Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) argues that the National Weather Service has
      > an unfair competitive advantage against commercial weather businesses.
      > He makes no secret of the fact that more than a dozen of those private
      > companies happen to be based in his state, where he happens to be
      > running for re-election.
      >
      > Santorum has a bill that would require the National Weather Service to
      > give much of its data only to private companies like AccuWeather and
      > WeatherBank, which repackage the taxpayer-funded information for radio
      > and TV and the like to make their tidy profits. The bill appears to
      > block the Weather Service from providing this information directly to
      > the public. The public would still pay to collect this information. It
      > just wouldn't have access to what it's paying for.
      >
      > If private weather companies want competition, let them start by buying
      > their own satellites, buoys, aircraft, upper-air weather balloons and
      > other fancy barometric equipment. Let them create their own multimodel
      > ensemble blends and generate their own storm warnings and small craft
      > advisories. And then let's talk. The public pays for the National
      > Weather Service. The public should be able to use it. - Excerpts from
      > an editorial in the Chicago Tribune, full editorial:
      > http://tinyurl.com/9gn4w
      >

      > this is disgusting; that these private companies, and a $hort $ighted $enator,
      > have the audacity to rob, and re-sell us information,

      which we pay for with huge portions of our income and taxed goods and
      services.

      mykl

      --

      "America is the country that fought for freedom, then
      began passing laws to get rid of it."

      - Alfred E. Neuman (MAD Magazine)