Re: Ooooops. power lines

  • John Santos
    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2005
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:
      > I put my kite on powerlines on wooden poles during a drastic wind
      shift
      > (I think it was a small rotor), well nothing happened, I wonder just
      > how dangerous is it really to touch lines with kite or lines? Surely
      > they are insulated anyway (any electrical engineers out there?)
      >
      > Saw a movie of a guy hitting a power line with the mast of his boat
      > on 'Funniest home videos'... KABOOOM!

      Two years ago I burned down 180 acres of California Sierra Nevada Oak
      meadows, including about 15 acres on my aunt's ranch, by putting a C-
      Quad on some powerlines. The kite was totally dry. At the time, I was
      about where you are - I had draped my kite over powerlines a few times
      and nothing happened. I think a part of me believed it was a myth. It
      was an accident, but when my cousin let go of the lines to the 8.4 m C-
      quad it incinerated as soon as it touched two lines at the same time.
      It was July 4th weekend, hot and dry, and there was a huge fire
      hazard. The flames fell down and ignited the plentiful dry grass under
      the lines and the fire was fought for three days at a cost of about
      $750,000 from what I understand. The AKA paid out the largest
      settlement in their history and they can't get insurance anymore for
      their members.

      Keep your kite away from powerlines.