kite leash

  • Homer Robbins
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2005
      I just read in a magazine that wrist kite leashes should be updated to
      a leash that attaches to your harness...what is your opinion and what
      (and where) would I find a leash of that type for my Cabrinha CO2
      (2002, not Recon)...or even should I...??? Thanks, Homer
    • Kite Power (Sans Souci)
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2005
        G'day Homer
        The system you have is fine, especially if you are still new to the sport.
        All kites in my school are fitted with wrist leashes. If you are still
        learning and flying the kite not hooked into a harness, then it is safer to
        just have a wrist leash because if you get into trouble you can just let go
        of the bar and the kite will depower.
        In really powered up conditions it can be a bit more of a hassle to
        re-launch with a wrist leash, but on most occassions when you use the leash
        on a 4 line kite the lines will tangle anyway, and you will have to self
        rescue, so not a huge advantage either way in reality.

        If you are beyond that just starting out stage, then you can easily fit the
        leash to your harness. If you buy the Naish trims trap and leash pack, you
        can easily convert the 2002 Cabrinha bar. You can also use components from
        Slingshot, Best, Ozone, etc, any decent kite shop will carry a range of
        leash components.

        Make sure you test whatever you rig up, before you let loose on the water in
        stronger winds!

        Cya and

        Goodwinds

        Steve McCormack