cabrinha 2002 upgrade???

  • Homer Robbins
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2005
      I am brand new to this sport...(still flying a wasp 1, lessons coming
      in June on South Padre Island)...I bought, on a kiteboardindng board a
      2002 Cabrinha CO2 12M Kite with lines, bar, etc. On the same board I
      bought a Liquid Force 151 Pickle Fork Board. A Da Kine Nexus harness
      from Ebay completes my cheap ass beginners equipment (I know the
      instructors may say what the @#$% were you doing...but that is what I
      have done)... To my question...I have read that the 2003 Cabrinha
      system is better/safer than the 2002...should I try to update my kite,
      learn on this and then go newer...or what...any imput will
      help...thanks from a future kiteboarder...
    • Neil Harper
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
        I would keep the 02 kite until you have stopped crashing the kite
        involuntarily, check it has an adequate safety system, if original equipment
        it should be fine. In my experience your first kite takes quite a hammering
        during the initial learning process. Just exercise caution when learning and
        don't fly in winds that are too strong for you and or kite upwind of large
        hard obstacles. Just because you have a seat belt doesn't mean you shouldn't
        take care not to crash. If money is no object by all means get a newer kite
        with a fifth line or some kind of re-launch system but in the meantime your
        CO2 should be fine :-)

        PS If you are over 85kgs you might want to consider a bigger board for the
        first few weeks.

        I am brand new to this sport...(still flying a wasp 1, lessons coming
        in June on South Padre Island)...I bought, on a kiteboardindng board a
        2002 Cabrinha CO2 12M Kite with lines, bar, etc. On the same board I
        bought a Liquid Force 151 Pickle Fork Board. A Da Kine Nexus harness
        from Ebay completes my cheap ass beginners equipment (I know the
        instructors may say what the @#$% were you doing...but that is what I
        have done)... To my question...I have read that the 2003 Cabrinha
        system is better/safer than the 2002...should I try to update my kite,
        learn on this and then go newer...or what...any imput will
        help...thanks from a future kiteboarder...

        to the most frequently asked questions.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • ex_cpe
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2005
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Homer Robbins" <tommybonfire@y...> wrote:
          > I am brand new to this sport...(still flying a wasp 1, lessons coming
          > in June on South Padre Island)...I bought, on a kiteboardindng board a
          > 2002 Cabrinha CO2 12M Kite with lines, bar, etc.

          ........you got a great kite. it's as if you bought a new Best Yarga. The Cabbys have always
          made great kit. If you've been kiting for four years you may notice the difference and
          appreciate the advances in 05 kites - but this is the perfect way to get started. Depending
          on your weight a 12 is also the best starter-kite because it's the middle size for most
          adults. When you're ready - depending on your size/local winds - a 12 should be the
          finest kite in your quiver.

          I'm selling a 12 Black Tip (slightly higher aspect than C02) for $250. Same concept: the
          perfect kite for a newbie to flog and trash, so they have some $$ left to buy some good
          stuff a year later. (wetstuff.com ..under 'kite ideas')

          I know the instructors may say what the @#$% were you doing...but that is what I
          > have done...

          .........only if they were like a car dealer who wanted to both teach you to drive and sell you
          a car at the same time.

          I have read that the 2003 Cabrinha system is better/safer than the 2002...should I try to
          update my kite

          ..........and the 2003 ford Explorer has two additional airbags vs. the 2002 - BUT WAIT, the
          2004 has two more and the chassis is 40% stiffer! Just make sure someone who knows
          the setup lays the lines out properly and that you have a functional lease that you test
          once a session. (it also helps you learn an in-water relaunch). Pick a bunch of days with
          about 12kts - a clear area with waist deep water and LEARN THE POWER.

          And, don't do anything without someone around to watch/help you at this stage.

          Jim