RE: [ksurf] Convince me NOT to use a board leash??

  • Simon Ilsley
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3 1:28 AM
      Sure. I know riders who use the retractable type which solves that problem. Just be aware that it's still another thing to get tangled up in!

      In a tidal situation you can just kite downwind of other riders so there's always someone to help you retrieve your board. We are always rescuing people's boards and it's good to be able to help the less experienced riders.

      Scott Phillips <scottdt21@...> wrote:

      Would a non-elastic type leash be any safer? Not having that spring-
      return would seem to eliminate some of the danger while still keeping
      the board retrievable.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3 8:00 AM
        When I use a leash I try to add a last piece of light rope or string at the
        connection to the board. That way if it gets caught in a wave and is building
        up pressure the rope will break and I can deal with the lost board. If it is
        not wavy but gusty you can put the kite on the water wind up one side so the
        kite is pointing at you and swim up wind to the board as it drifts towards you.
        It might take a while but you will not lose the board.
        Then unwind the kite and relaunch. This works with inflatos and foils that
        don't leak too much or have big enough intakes to force the water back out.
        A little bit of a compromise here. No compromise on the helmet.
        Wear a leash = wear a helmet.
        George

      • jsails1974
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 18 9:32 AM
          No
          You will tear mussels or ligaments in your legs ~ there will also
          still be the potential of having the board snapbck at you still....
          With a little practice you will be able to retrieve your board.
          Infact, retrieving your board is more easy to learn & do then the art
          of getting started and up and riding~ I say Loose the leash & have
          safer fun ~ \m/

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Phillips" <scottdt21@m...>