Re: [ksurf] Convince me NOT to use a board leash??

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
      I have been kiting since 1998 and never had a problem with the board
      slingshot close to my body neither except for one small incident in waves.

      That's said, kiting without a board leash offers so much freedom that
      once you start going out without a leash for a couple times, you will
      ponder why you haven't done so sooner.

      The places, conditions where board leash are still essential: very cold
      water, very gusty wind (make body drag upwind difficult), limited down
      wind space, offshore wind, etc.

      P.S., 9% of all kitesurfing accidents recorded in KSI from 2000 to 2003
      involved board leash.

      Hung.

    • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
        If you use a leash your board will almost always be directly upwind of your head. I have a nice
        paint mark on my helmet from when a wind gust turned my board into a missile. I figure if I get
        knocked out in the water I'm probably dead. I'd prefer to avoid that. I only use a leash if I'm in a
        spot without a friendly beach downwind - hardly ever. My rule is if I use a board leash I definitely
        wear a helmt too.

        Just my 2 cents

        Steve
        Carson City, NV USA