Re: [ksurf] Convince me NOT to use a board leash??

  • Geoffrey Cabral
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
      Back in the day when I used a board leash I wiped out during a transition,not going very fast and had the board come flying for my head on the surface of the water(Flat water).The board missed my neck by centimeters as it came skimming across the water.Even though I had my helmet on(most of which don't come down to the neck area)the board came a little to close to my neck and my spinal cord.It doesn't take much to do serious damage to the spinal cord in the neck,after that the leash was retired to the dumpster.even with a helmet board leahes are bad news.It doesn't matter how good you are shit happens.I haven't been kiting for 6 months because of a bad lofting in september of last year.I got knocked unconcious even with my helmet.I am ready to go again but know my limits this time.Ditch the leash,I have had to body drag through waves looking for a white board in all that foam and have drank enough salt water and mung to choke a dinosaur,but I am able to write about it.Just my 2$
      worth.
      Geoff

      ichiman1 <ichiman1@...> wrote:

      In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
      close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
      case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
      water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
      a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
      Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.

      to the most frequently asked questions.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • loco
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2005
        Why?

        > In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
        > close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
        > case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
        > water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
        > a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
        > Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Simon Ilsley
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2005
          If you must wear a leash make sure you don't attach it until you're in the water....

          We had a guy on the beach in Noosa, Oz who launched his kite and was overpowered and started to get dragged down the beach. Some of the locals ran after him and one of them had to dive and grab his legs whilst another went after the kite.

          During this chase his board had dug itself into the sand and the leash was under tension. When the board freed itself it came flying into the guy who was holding him and hit him in the back of his ankle, lacerating his tendons. He was unable to kite for months and still has problems with his ankle.

          If it had hit him in the head it would probably have killed him.

          In general where we kite there is always someone who will get your board back for you if you lose it and leashes just aren't worth the risk of the injury they can cause.

          Simon

          Hung Vu <hungvu2000@...> wrote:

          I have been kiting since 1998 and never had a problem with the board
          slingshot close to my body neither except for one small incident in waves.

          That's said, kiting without a board leash offers so much freedom that
          once you start going out without a leash for a couple times, you will
          ponder why you haven't done so sooner.

          The places, conditions where board leash are still essential: very cold
          water, very gusty wind (make body drag upwind difficult), limited down
          wind space, offshore wind, etc.

          P.S., 9% of all kitesurfing accidents recorded in KSI from 2000 to 2003
          involved board leash.

          Hung.

          ichiman1 wrote:

          >In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
          >close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
          >case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
          >water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
          >a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
          >Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Scott Phillips
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2005
            Would a non-elastic type leash be any safer? Not having that spring-
            return would seem to eliminate some of the danger while still keeping
            the board retrievable.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
              Sure. I know riders who use the retractable type which solves that problem. Just be aware that it's still another thing to get tangled up in!

              In a tidal situation you can just kite downwind of other riders so there's always someone to help you retrieve your board. We are always rescuing people's boards and it's good to be able to help the less experienced riders.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
                When I use a leash I try to add a last piece of light rope or string at the
                connection to the board. That way if it gets caught in a wave and is building
                up pressure the rope will break and I can deal with the lost board. If it is
                not wavy but gusty you can put the kite on the water wind up one side so the
                kite is pointing at you and swim up wind to the board as it drifts towards you.
                It might take a while but you will not lose the board.
                Then unwind the kite and relaunch. This works with inflatos and foils that
                don't leak too much or have big enough intakes to force the water back out.
                A little bit of a compromise here. No compromise on the helmet.
                Wear a leash = wear a helmet.
                George

              • jsails1974
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 18, 2005
                  No
                  You will tear mussels or ligaments in your legs ~ there will also
                  still be the potential of having the board snapbck at you still....
                  With a little practice you will be able to retrieve your board.
                  Infact, retrieving your board is more easy to learn & do then the art
                  of getting started and up and riding~ I say Loose the leash & have
                  safer fun ~ \m/

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Phillips" <scottdt21@m...>