Convince me NOT to use a board leash??

  • ichiman1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 4:33 PM
      In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
      close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
      case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
      water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
      a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
      Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.
    • pbkiteboarding_com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 5:30 PM
        Haven't been hit either... But the Dakine wrapped around my legs and stuff...the safety
        rope that is meant to break under load did break once in a gust... the board was at a
        certain hangle and stuck to the water when I got pulled... I've been using the reel leash...
        10' with a shock cord. It has worked well... I have a plastic clip (no metal connection,
        Larks Head at board) that will release under load... that I can reattach...afterwords... The
        leash has really helped in cold water self recue when needed and place where I would
        never get my board back for hours.... not worrying about the board... But it is an extra
        attachement that could cause trouble... i like it...

        Seems that surfer still use a leash...from looking at surfing mags... Probably more
        important to me to use a helmet than not a leash...

        And we still have to have to be attached to the kite with lines... of course, but lines rarely
        rap around us...

        Sorry I didn't convince you not to...

        Have Fun

        Paul

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "ichiman1" <ichiman1@y...> wrote:

        > In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
        > close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
        > case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
        > water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
        > a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
        > Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.
      • Hung Vu
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 5:19 AM
          I have been kiting since 1998 and never had a problem with the board
          slingshot close to my body neither except for one small incident in waves.

          That's said, kiting without a board leash offers so much freedom that
          once you start going out without a leash for a couple times, you will
          ponder why you haven't done so sooner.

          The places, conditions where board leash are still essential: very cold
          water, very gusty wind (make body drag upwind difficult), limited down
          wind space, offshore wind, etc.

          P.S., 9% of all kitesurfing accidents recorded in KSI from 2000 to 2003
          involved board leash.

          Hung.

        • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 10:12 AM
            If you use a leash your board will almost always be directly upwind of your head. I have a nice
            paint mark on my helmet from when a wind gust turned my board into a missile. I figure if I get
            knocked out in the water I'm probably dead. I'd prefer to avoid that. I only use a leash if I'm in a
            spot without a friendly beach downwind - hardly ever. My rule is if I use a board leash I definitely
            wear a helmt too.

            Just my 2 cents

            Steve
            Carson City, NV USA