[ksurf] Re: Kite Prangs!! and a little advice!

  • Jack Brutschin
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 1998
      Well, here is the first person who was almost killed. The safety release was blokking and I was hooked in a harnas. The kite kept on pulling, while I flew the kite on too long lines. Fortunately I was lucky, although it happened two times within 10 minutes.

      It confinced me that the quickrelease is VITAL!!

      Please let it be an advise to everybody.

      -----
      See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/kitesurf/?start=685
    • Christian Klein
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 1998
        I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
        official record. If I dare talking about it, it is because I have spent
        hours discussing with Pierre Cardineau and trying his kites.
        (We even discussed the fact of me talking about his kite-jumping on this
        newsgroup).

        More than a crazy recordman, he is a very careful person. But it is
        difficult for me to prove this to you. You certainly will never see him
        with a harness or without tough walking shoes if there is a bit of wind.
        The other important point are the kites Pierre is manufacturing and
        selling which are really designed for jumping. They are named Mandibules
        (=mandibles as you have guessed). They have an autostable profile
        (though different from the one of the Peel) and an arch-bridle system.
        They also have lots of profiles : 1 every 10 cm for the
        top-of-the-range. Size for jumping ranges from 6 to 8 m2.
        It is almost impossible to have them close and turn into a falling ball
        of ripstop. They would rather glide with the wind until back in a proper
        flying position (such is the case if they end-up behind you in a jump).
        Traction is also a lot smaller once at an end of the flying window.
        This characteristic makes a jump very different. I had jumped a few
        times over three years with my Sputnik (I don't like jumping) before I
        tried Pierre's Mandibules. The jump is totally different. With a
        standard foil, your trajectory is like a parabola : up fast, down fast.
        Mandibules carry you on the way down : up fast, down gliding. You don't
        hit the ground, you land. The flight of the kite is critical : from high
        on one side (~70 degrees) to the top.
        With a wind from the sea measured at 30-35 km/h wind, a 8 m2 and 50m
        lines, my inexperienced 67kg flew a little less than 30m and my feet
        were about 2m up.
        Near La Rochelle (France) where he flies, many people have picked up the
        activity. For the first time, I felt safe while kite jumping :
        appropriate wind and kite, knowledgeable persons around, good soft sand.
        Quite a few person use these kites from 16 to 45 years old. The number
        of casualty is very low. The worst being a broken leg for a person who
        suffered osteoporosis (no wonder) but did not know of it.

        This is to reinforce Neil�s advice to beginners and experts :
        NEVER think you can master the wind or your kite, they are a lot tougher
        than yourself.

        Chris Klein
        >Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:58:25 +0800
        >From: Neil Taylor <htlk@...>
        >To: kitesurf@egroups.com
        >Subject: [ksurf] Kite Prangs!! and a little advice!
        >
        >Having broken a leg while kite-flying 7 years ago I sympathise with
        >Greg!! If you are going to mess around a bit while you're not >actually
        kite-surfing please heed the following advice!!

        >NEVER jump on grass or any hard surface, sand is OK if you are >careful
        and have plenty of room. Try and land on your feet and >bottom!! Keep
        your weight BACK and feet forwards. You 'could' twist >an ankle but,
        hey,you could do that crossing the road!

        >NEVER tie yourself to a solid object and launch a large kite. People
        >have been KILLED doing this! I have a friend who was in traction for
        >months and has lost the complete use of his ankle at age 25. That's
        >pretty tough on a piano-teacher!
        >
        >NEVER use a harness (on dry land at least) without a deadman release.
        >People have been KILLED doing this too! If you use hand grips or
        >simple padded wrist straps you can easily let go. Being dragged on
        >the beach is quite safe as long as you are in control! Don't take
        >unnecessary risks.
        >
        >The current record (maybe unofficial) for kite-jumping in France is
        >87m along a beach!!!! Just imagine what you can do off the face of a
        >wave!!!
        >
        >Here's to a SAFE adrenalin rush!!
        >
        >Neil Taylor

      • Bruno Legaignoux
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 1998
          Christian Klein wrote:

          > I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
          > official record. If I dare talking about it, it is because I have spent

          > The number
          > of casualty is very low. The worst being a broken leg for a person who
          > suffered osteoporosis (no wonder) but did not know of it.

          I agree that Pierre's kites, on the principle of Sylvain Berthomé's kites,
          are great for jump, but I don't agree it is a safe sport. There were more
          injuries in the La Rochelle area than you think.

          Why don't you jump on water ? So safer !

          Bruno

        • Dave Terry
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 1998
            >I would like to add a few comments on the French kite-jumper and his
            >official record....

            Please show the documentation. I'm looking for some serious air
            images for my Sea Flight Research site. But I don't want lemmings jumping
            over land. Get a hang glider if your really want to have fun killing
            yourself. Everyone makes mistakes.
            I've attached a shot of myself with a Wind Weapon in 1987. This is
            Seaflight.
            To see flight, go as fast as you can and turn your kite and board
            into the eye of the wind. The increased velocity of air ramming over the
            foil and the increased pressure on the lines will lift your mass to heights
            unimaginable when you've perfected the technique.
            The sea is soft below a hundred feet and our lines prevent us from
            lifting higher than this, for now. I advise keeping flights over the sea.
            But show me the images. As I learned last week, it ain't real until its
            documented.
            We are alllearning to fly. Cory is the first to show twenty eight
            feet at the Gorge.Our consciousness is ready to take flight. Anybody
            recorded any fifty foot lift offs?!
            We are becomeing light, free of gravity,there's no need to rush
            into flight.Don't go jump off a cliff or try to do something stupid.
            Imagine a man standing in the sky, riding a board with wings planing on the
            forces of his own falling. True flight is about to become the most
            enlightening concept of the millinium. Let me be the first to show you.
            Send me the images and I'll put them on the site of Seaflight Research.
            You should all start looking up, realizing we are on the edge of a
            new frontier. I'd like to record the first ascension. Send me your images,
            show me wings turning into the eye, lifting tiny masses into physical
            enlightenment. You are going to fly like a birds, bats and flying fish. God
            grants you the will because you can. Give me the poor in faith and I will
            show you angels or demons flying from the cave of our ignorance into the
            future of true flight. Dave Terry aerobike@...

          • O1withwind@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
              Dave,
              I couldn't download your picture properly. It looks like a cool picture, can
              you send it out again?
              Thanks,
              PEACE&WIND
              Josh Young <o1withwind@...>
            • Dave Terry
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 1998
                >Dave,
                >I couldn't download your picture properly. It looks like a cool picture, can
                >you send it out again?
                >Thanks,
                >PEACE&WIND
                >Josh Young <o1withwind@...>

                Uh..I sent a gif..should I have sent another format?Dave
                >No tricks, no gimmicks - just a great intro rate for Internet users!
                >NextCard Internet VISA -- Apply online now!
                >http://ads.egroups.com/click/64/1/nextcard
                >
                >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

                Dave Terry Productions
                POB 238