RE: [ksurf] going upwind....

  • Nieto, Gonzalo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      Stuart. Try changing U´r fins.....may be longer.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
        Stuart,
        It sounds like you are really close and it is just a matter of subtlety. One
        thing that worked for me was trying to keep the kite as far forward as
        possible without popping out of the power zone. You must be very close if you can
        go 90 degrees. Clearly you have built up enough board speed to be able to get
        the kite forward.

        Maybe try heading down wind a little to speed up and then bring the kite
        forward and edge slightly harder. Sometimes when I press too hard with the back
        foot I stop my speed and lose the up-wind ability. I have to head down wind
        again, speed up and edge up slowly.

        Another thing that you can try is to hold the bar further back, get it
        slightly behind the middle of the board. If the pull is from the front half of the
        board then it will want to pull you down wind. If it from the back half of
        the board then the front half of the board will be wedging you up wind.
        Lastly I think it is easier to stay upwind with a bigger board. So...use a
        bigger board until you feel comfortable and then move down a size.
        George