short boards

  • cwirjap
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      hi

      can anyone tell me what the benefit is of riding a smaller board.
      I'm pretty much just learning and I've got a older 150 twin tip. I
      have the opportunity to buy an 136 Naish Haze at a good price though.

      Is there any point in getting this board? Will i find it too hard
      to use or will it actually help me. Or...am I better off using my
      150 and then getting a higher end small board when I get better.

      i'm 75 kgs and about 5'5".

      Any info appreciated.
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "cwirjap" <cwirjap@y...> wrote:

        > hi
        >
        > can anyone tell me what the benefit is of riding a smaller board.
        > I'm pretty much just learning and I've got a older 150 twin tip. I
        > have the opportunity to buy an 136 Naish Haze at a good price though.
        >
        > Is there any point in getting this board? Will i find it too hard
        > to use or will it actually help me. Or...am I better off using my
        > 150 and then getting a higher end small board when I get better.
        >
        > i'm 75 kgs and about 5'5".
        >
        > Any info appreciated.

        ......I'd say; beat up the one you have 'till you're simply tired of it. Hell, 150 was 'short'
        only 24mos ago.. There may be people who still have a 175 in the garage. You're
        probably at a stage where there are 100 other thing demanding your attention - all at the
        same time.

        When ready: cruise over to ikitesurf.com where there are tons boards for sale, often VERY
        reasonably priced. The only thing missing are some of the exotic boards from the EU and
        SA that don't have much distribution in the US - assuming you're in the US...

        The best option; finding something you can - try for an afternoon - and buy from one of
        your local crew. ...'makes happy-vibe at the local launch.

        Jim
      • Chris Glazier
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
          A 150 is fine for learning and also is a good light wind board. As
          you get better and start getting bigger jumps and spins you may find
          it heavy and want a smaller one. Also, it is too big for higher wind
          conditions like over 20 knots. So you will want a smaller board
          eventually. Most boards these days are 125 to 140 for experienced
          riders in good wind.
          :-)
          Chris Glazier