Re: [ksurf] going upwind....

  • Mr Bonk
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hey mate,
      Can you give us your weight, board size/type, kite size/type
      and the wind you're riding in?

      If you're not powered up enough, you won't go upwind. Similarly, if
      you're overpowered and being pulled off your edge all the time, you'll
      find it hard to make upwind progress.

      I find that taking your front hand off the bar makes quite a
      noticeable difference to how far you can drive upwind. It lets you
      twist your entire body upwind.

      MrBonk
      www.mrbonk.com

    • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
        stuartc@... writes:

        to get that extra
        few metres upwind which would make all the difference - any pointers would
        be greatly appreciated - thanks

        Being a windsurfer, it was always easy for me to go up wind. Especially on
        directionals.
        Not the exact same with twintip that i use now.

        I let my kite go above me more, I de-power a little bit on my center
        adjustment
        lines so that you actually fall back a little upwind, this will allow the
        board to point
        up wind too.
        Contrary to powering up, you actually have to de-power a little to go up
        wind at a slower speed. It's a good way to rest in between jumping for me
        and i get to
        gain upwind after i've boosted some air going down wind.
        That way I stay in the same place or go upwind more. Also in some wind/water
        conditions,
        it actually set's me up to jump better, by heading up wind as much as I can
        in some situations, so as to snap the kite on the jump with the wave/ramp.
        Higher is better for me - not being fond of wakeboard style.
        Good luck, hope this helps.
        Scott

        Scott

      • Nieto, Gonzalo
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
          Stuart. Try changing U´r fins.....may be longer.

          im at the intermediate stage and seem to have hit a bit of a brick
          wall.....i manage to go in and out to the same spot 90% of the time but cant
          seem to end up upwind of where i started........i try and do everything as
          youre taught - turn your hips, almost staraight front leg , look into the
          wind , pressure on the back foot etc etc but i cant seem to get that extra
          few metres upwind which would make all the difference - any pointers would
          be greatly appreciated - thanks

          the system manager.

          www.mimesweeper.com

          to the most frequently asked questions.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Visite http://www.cablevision.com.ar
          Visite http://www.fibertel.com.ar

          Este mensaje es confidencial. Puede contener informacion amparada por el secreto comercial.
          Si usted ha recibido este e-mail por error, debera eliminarlo de su sistema.
          No debera copiar el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.

          This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is privileged or not
          authorized to be disclosed. If you have received it by mistake, delete it from your system.
          You should not copy the messsage nor disclose its contents to anyone. Many thanks.
        • georgeiw@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
            Stuart,
            It sounds like you are really close and it is just a matter of subtlety. One
            thing that worked for me was trying to keep the kite as far forward as
            possible without popping out of the power zone. You must be very close if you can
            go 90 degrees. Clearly you have built up enough board speed to be able to get
            the kite forward.

            Maybe try heading down wind a little to speed up and then bring the kite
            forward and edge slightly harder. Sometimes when I press too hard with the back
            foot I stop my speed and lose the up-wind ability. I have to head down wind
            again, speed up and edge up slowly.

            Another thing that you can try is to hold the bar further back, get it
            slightly behind the middle of the board. If the pull is from the front half of the
            board then it will want to pull you down wind. If it from the back half of
            the board then the front half of the board will be wedging you up wind.
            Lastly I think it is easier to stay upwind with a bigger board. So...use a
            bigger board until you feel comfortable and then move down a size.
            George