going upwind....

  • Stuart Cocksedge
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 2:47 PM
      any pointers would be helpful here.....
      im at the intermediate stage and seem to have hit a bit of a brick
      wall.....i manage to go in and out to the same spot 90% of the time but cant
      seem to end up upwind of where i started........i try and do everything as
      youre taught - turn your hips, almost staraight front leg , look into the
      wind , pressure on the back foot etc etc but i cant seem to get that extra
      few metres upwind which would make all the difference - any pointers would
      be greatly appreciated - thanks

      the system manager.

      www.mimesweeper.com
    • ex_cpe
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3 12:09 PM
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Cocksedge <stuartc@g...> wrote:

        > any pointers would be helpful here.....
        > im at the intermediate stage and seem to have hit a bit of a brick
        > wall.....i manage to go in and out to the same spot 90% of the time but cant
        > seem to end up upwind of where i started........i try and do everything as
        > youre taught - turn your hips, almost staraight front leg , look into the
        > wind , pressure on the back foot etc etc but i cant seem to get that extra
        > few metres upwind which would make all the difference - any pointers would
        > be greatly appreciated - thanks

        Stuart: You may not have enough wind - or enough kite. You need that balance between
        resistance from the board's edge and the upwind pull of the kite.

        Think back; if your board is not over at something like 60deg - you are headed downwind,
        unless you are on a directional. You mat be 'feathering' your board simply to keep the kite
        in the air if there is not enough wind, or too nervous to drop the hammer - and power up
        what you have. You'll get it.

        My apology if I'm duplicating other opinions I didn't get a chance to read.

        Jim