Re: Twinskins

  • theflyingtinman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2005
      Graeme,

      The bias toward inflatables is probably due in large part
      to a few things. Since LEIs are already in the majority there
      is no doubt an "image" thing that keeps many riders away from
      the less popular ram-airs. LEI domination also fuels itself by ensuring that training is, in most areas, only available on
      LEIs. And there is also a perception among some riders that
      having a big inflatable tube out there on the ocean makes for
      a better chance of rescue or self-rescue if the kite goes down
      and can't relaunch.

      I can't speak definitively about LEIs as I am PLK rider and
      own only one LEI--a 20m Yarga that I won in a competition and
      have not yet ridden on water. I won't claim better performance
      on my PLKs in good conditions (mabe the Venoms will close that perceived gap) but from experience I am often first out and
      last in at my local site when conditions are marginal and my
      Arcs will stay aloft when almost all the LEIs around me are
      on the water due to gustiness or lulls in the wind.

      It is true that a downed LEI will sit on the water until the
      wind is relaunchable but PLKs will a) generally relaunch very
      quickly and easily when down and b) go down so rarely in the
      hands of an experienced user that their "floatability" is
      realy not an issue. And in any case on calm water I once had
      a S-Arc 1120 down in a 45 minute lull and still relaunched
      it when the wind came up. Had to drain a bit of water before
      it would fly right but it did eventually get me up and riding
      instead of swimming.

      The easy self-launch and landing of PLKs makes also them ideal
      for solo sessions (which I seem do quite often)

      I started on standard Arcs four or five years ago and stuck
      with PLKs throughout. I will probably trade my Guerillas
      for Venoms this year.

      Steve T