What is Lofting?

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
      When I defined the term years ago on this list (See ** below), I was
      convinced that it might not be that uncommon as kiteboarding grew in
      popularity.

      It was defined as ...

      [b]"Lofting is the involuntary lifting of a kitesurfer in a gust and
      getting blown downwind ..."[/b]

      When people talk of lofting, sometimes there seems to be some
      confusion as to just what that implies. Some that I have encountered
      seem to think it is only the thermal variety which in fact is quite
      rare thankfully among kiteboarders. I recently heard about an article
      that indicated that lofting is so rare as to almost be a myth.

      When you think about it, lofting as defined above, is quite common at
      least to anyone that was ever involuntarily lifted by a kite in a
      gust. They didn't necessaily have to be hurt.

      ** From: kitesrfer@...
      Date: Wed Oct 3, 2001 5:13 pm
      Subject: New Hazard was (Stamos)Kitemare - Ch-ch estuary 1, Decay 0
      [i]
      Stefano,

      You said a mouthful! We have been kicking around this concept of
      lofting recently. [b]Lofting is the involuntary lifting of a
      kitesurfer in a gust and getting blown downwind[/b], near or on land,
      to a hard to very hard impact. So the kitesurfer knows this, wears a
      helmet, an impact vest, uses a properly fitted chickenloop
      snapshackle, trys to avoid circumstances that might lead to lofting
      and figures well if he gets hurt, it goes with the sport.

      What if the lofted kitesurfer blows downwind at speed into some
      bystanders? Lets say the kitesurfer's board or body, hits someone in
      the head or knocks them into a car, rock, wall, whatever. That rows
      bystanders aboard, who probably didn't rationalize about kitesurfing
      injuries before coming to the beach. Guys, this is serious. Lofting,
      is not real common, but not unheard of at many launches. If you are
      lucky, you hit clear sand, get up and say whew! If not, the
      repercussions for the kitesurfer and sport could be far reaching and
      devastating. We really need to avoid lofting, particularly in crowded
      areas. This is a relatively new problem, with higher numbers of
      kitesurfers and very efficient kites unlike things a few years ago. It
      is important to note, that once you are airborne, it really doesn't
      matter how good you are, where and how you land will likely be beyond
      your control.

      Fly safe,
      Rick"[/i]

      Of course experience has taught us a great deal about lofting and
      various ways of trying to avoid it since this old post which was based
      upon only [b]three loftings[/b] (including my own!). To date there
      have probably been hundreds if not thousands loftings including
      several fatalities. We are still learning how to try to avoid this
      threat.

      As time went on, it seemed reasonable to define various types of
      lofting based upon various accidents to include:

      Uplift lofting = being pulled or popped up while already in flight by
      the standing pressure wave created by vertical surfaces by wind, e.g.
      walls, buildings, hills, trees, etc. Dimitri Maramendies had a case
      of this in OBX a while back as have others including some that were
      lofted from the water and over vertical surfaces once they flew over
      land.

      Thermal lofting = being pulled or popped up while already in flight
      by a thermal, or rising mass of warm air. After finally seeing the
      video and commentary of Eric's lofting in Oahu a few years ago, I
      suspect that this was a case of uplift lofting instead of a thermal
      lofting.

      Lofting can follow or preceed dragging which is also a potentially
      dangerous event.

      I just heard about a nasty lofting that happened less than a week ago
      resulting in a serious spinal fracture. Then there were the several
      dragging/lofting related fatalities of the last few months. I wish
      lofting was a myth. Devising an effective solution short of
      widespread knowledge, use of good judgment and hazard appreciation
      isn't apparent at this time. We have a ways to go in effectively
      managing lofting across participants in this sport. Acceptance of its
      existence would be a good start.

      FKA, Inc.

      transcribed by:
      Rick Iossi
    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        The original definition based on three cases that I was familar with
        in 2001 (one in Florida, one in California and one in Australia), and
        quite a few more anticipated loftings in the future was:

        Lofting is the involuntary lifting of a kitesurfer in a gust and
        getting blown downwind, near or on land, to a hard to very hard impact.

        over time though, I think the definition has evolved to:

        Lofting is the involuntary lifting of a kitesurfer in a gust and
        getting blown downwind regardless of whether a hard impact occurs or not.

        In effect you can be lofted and strike nothing harder than water as
        opposed to the original idea in 2001. The focus has shifted to being
        involuntarily lifted by the kite.

        Back in 2001 and after having been lofted fairly seriously, I was
        concerned about guys being picked up and blown inland into bystanders
        with some regularity in the future. The reality seems to have been
        more guys being lofted into bare sand, trees, cars, walls, etc. as
        opposed to people in many cases.

        Do you have other ideas when thinking of the term "lofting?"
        FKA, Inc.

        transcribed by:
        Rick Iossi