Re: [ksurf] Photo Shoot ... Where?

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6 5:22 AM
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, crsaniv20y@a... wrote:
      > Willoughby Spit Tidewater Virginia By the Naval Base. The storms
      always come
      > down the river past our Air Craft Carriers. Cape Henry Tidewater
      Virginia,
      > Back Bay in Sandbridge Virginia or Burtons in Waves NC.
      > Tom Holloman

      Hello Tom,

      Thanks for the suggestion. What sort of air and water temperatures
      would you expect for the area in January? I am not certain if there
      are temperature considerations in the shoot or not yet.

      Other ideas out there?
    • crsaniv20y@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6 11:01 AM
        I'd recommend going to the archives from last year for the winds over on
        Ikitesurf.com.

        I was in the water through out the winter last year. When it went below 40
        degrees I used about 4 cups of black tea and 4 glasses water before going in the
        water for 20 or 30 minutes for my 3/2 wet suits heating system. I was still
        trying to plane at the time so I was in the water more than on it.

        We have had 75 degree days in February with water temps down below 40
        degrees. I water-skied in that once 3 decades ago without a wet suit. Definitely wet
        or dry suit weather here in front of the Carriers in the Norfolk Naval Base
        but oh what a beautiful back drop. Normally 50 to 60 degrees. Very seldom does
        it go into the 30s and 40s during the day.

        I also used a sled and a B 2 Sling Shot Trainer kite and rode up and down
        Willoughby on days when it snowed.

        We are probably not the best location for a winter shoot but I really do
        believe our location is undervalued for some of our great spots on the Chesapeake
        Bay like Factory Point, 1 St. Landing at Sea Shore State Park and Cape
        Charles, VA, and never to forget the ocean side at Virginia Beach between 45th st and
        88th street.

        Tom Holloman