Re: [ksurf] Photo Shoot ... Where?

  • crsaniv20y@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2004
      Willoughby Spit Tidewater Virginia By the Naval Base. The storms always come
      down the river past our Air Craft Carriers. Cape Henry Tidewater Virginia,
      Back Bay in Sandbridge Virginia or Burtons in Waves NC.
      Tom Holloman

    • flkitesurfer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, crsaniv20y@a... wrote:
        > Willoughby Spit Tidewater Virginia By the Naval Base. The storms
        always come
        > down the river past our Air Craft Carriers. Cape Henry Tidewater
        Virginia,
        > Back Bay in Sandbridge Virginia or Burtons in Waves NC.
        > Tom Holloman

        Hello Tom,

        Thanks for the suggestion. What sort of air and water temperatures
        would you expect for the area in January? I am not certain if there
        are temperature considerations in the shoot or not yet.

        Other ideas out there?
      • crsaniv20y@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
          I'd recommend going to the archives from last year for the winds over on
          Ikitesurf.com.

          I was in the water through out the winter last year. When it went below 40
          degrees I used about 4 cups of black tea and 4 glasses water before going in the
          water for 20 or 30 minutes for my 3/2 wet suits heating system. I was still
          trying to plane at the time so I was in the water more than on it.

          We have had 75 degree days in February with water temps down below 40
          degrees. I water-skied in that once 3 decades ago without a wet suit. Definitely wet
          or dry suit weather here in front of the Carriers in the Norfolk Naval Base
          but oh what a beautiful back drop. Normally 50 to 60 degrees. Very seldom does
          it go into the 30s and 40s during the day.

          I also used a sled and a B 2 Sling Shot Trainer kite and rode up and down
          Willoughby on days when it snowed.

          We are probably not the best location for a winter shoot but I really do
          believe our location is undervalued for some of our great spots on the Chesapeake
          Bay like Factory Point, 1 St. Landing at Sea Shore State Park and Cape
          Charles, VA, and never to forget the ocean side at Virginia Beach between 45th st and
          88th street.

          Tom Holloman