Hackers was Re: [ksurf] total kites sold per year?

  • flkitesurfer
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
      Hello Chris,

      Yes you folks have put together a good website in the NW with a forum,
      lots of feature articles, site info and more. It does seem to be a
      bit silly to discuss local launch characteristics or meets later on
      the same day on an international forum like kiteforum. Local forums
      are far more appropriate for that sort of traffic and the areas you
      mentioned as well.

      The industry doesn't broadcast information of this sort currently and
      may never for that matter. Time will tell I guess.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:

      > Hi Rick
      > Yeah, this is the second time kiteform.com has had a major
      > disruption. Here in the Vancouver area we have a good forum called
      > skypilotkiteboarding.com. A lot of us now spend more time on it. A
      > local forum has more immediate news and handles local issues.
      >
      > I doubt that we will ever accurately know the size of the kite
      > industry because everyone I have met is very secretive about their
      > sales statistics.
      >
      > Chris
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Chris and Hung,
      > >
      > > I heard the same figure for 2003. I read an unattributed figure of
      > > 70,000 to 80,000 kites to be manufactured in 2004 on kiteforum.
      > Who
      > > knows as there are no centralized, verified statistics on this.
      > >
      > > By the way it looks like some hacker attacked and took down
      > kiteforum.
      > > We have this site as always of course, good thing, along with
      > other
      > > standing yahoogroups sites and relatively new php sites like
      > > http://fksa.org/ .
      > >
      > > What sort of QR do you pull to deal with hackers?
      > >
      > > FKA, Inc.
      > >
      > > transcribed by:
      > > Rick Iossi
      > >
      > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hung
      > > > The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't believe that the
      > > > market has changed a lot since, but that is only my guess.
      > Naish,
      > > > North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market between them
      > and I
      > > > believe that they still dominate the market.
      > > >
      > > > And I would guess that the whole industry might be over $100
      > million
      > > > a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons, accessories
      > etc.
      > > >
      > > > :-)
      > > > Chris Glazier

      > > > estimate.
      > > > sales.

      > > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===

    • yalcin hocaoglu
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
        As far as i read from a business development
        report, it's 150 mil. USD for power kiting and
        accessories for North America only.
        yalcin.
        --- Chris Glazier <cglazier@...> wrote:

        > Hung
        > The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't
        > believe that the
        > market has changed a lot since, but that is only my
        > guess. Naish,
        > North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market
        > between them and I
        > believe that they still dominate the market.
        >
        > And I would guess that the whole industry might be
        > over $100 million
        > a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons,
        > accessories etc.
        >
        > :-)
        > Chris Glazier
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu
        > <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
        > > So the whole industry is around $30 to $60 million
        > per year.
        > >
        > > How long ago was that Chris?
        > >
        > > Hung.
        > >
        > > Chris Glazier wrote:
        > >
        > > >This has been discussed before. I seem to recall
        > a resonable
        > > >conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a
        > very rough
        > estimate.
        > > >The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha
        > in terms of
        > sales.
        > > >
        > > >:-)
        > > >Chris Glazier
        > > >

        > > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
        > > >http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the
        > answers
        > > >to the most frequently asked questions.
        > > >
        > > >=== to unsubscribe, please send an email to
        > kitesurf-
        > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
        > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        > answers

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Hung Vu
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
          flkitesurfer wrote:

          >What sort of QR do you pull to deal with hackers?

          There is no QR. They are of very "intelligent breed"!

          What I don't understand is why such an "intelligent breed" has to break
          down a site such as kiteforum.com ?

          Hung.