total kites sold per year?

  • russellken73
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
      Has anyone got a rough estimate of how many kites have been sold per
      year over the past few years?

      What about how many schools are out there?

      How can you research this?

      Thanks
    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
        russellken73 wrote:

        >What about how many schools are out there?
        >
        >How can you research this?

        Count the number of schools in http://kitesurfingschool.org/schools.htm
        and estimate the total by multiplying by some "n" factor.

        Hung.
      • Chris Glazier
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
          This has been discussed before. I seem to recall a resonable
          conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a very rough estimate.
          The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha in terms of sales.

          :-)
          Chris Glazier
        • Hung Vu
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
            So the whole industry is around $30 to $60 million per year.

            How long ago was that Chris?

            Hung.

            Chris Glazier wrote:

            >This has been discussed before. I seem to recall a resonable
            >conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a very rough estimate.
            >The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha in terms of sales.
            >
            >:-)
            >Chris Glazier

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Nieto, Gonzalo
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
              Hi, and wipika, is not includ?

              Thanks.-

              This has been discussed before. I seem to recall a resonable
              conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a very rough estimate.
              The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha in terms of sales.

              :-)
              Chris Glazier

              to the most frequently asked questions.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Visite http://www.cablevision.com.ar
              Visite http://www.fibertel.com.ar

              Este mensaje es confidencial. Puede contener informacion amparada por el secreto comercial.
              Si usted ha recibido este e-mail por error, debera eliminarlo de su sistema.
              No debera copiar el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.

              This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is privileged or not
              authorized to be disclosed. If you have received it by mistake, delete it from your system.
              You should not copy the messsage nor disclose its contents to anyone. Many thanks.
            • Chris Glazier
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2004
                Hung
                The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't believe that the
                market has changed a lot since, but that is only my guess. Naish,
                North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market between them and I
                believe that they still dominate the market.

                And I would guess that the whole industry might be over $100 million
                a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons, accessories etc.

                :-)
                Chris Glazier

                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • flkitesurfer
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
                  Hello Chris and Hung,

                  I heard the same figure for 2003. I read an unattributed figure of
                  70,000 to 80,000 kites to be manufactured in 2004 on kiteforum. Who
                  knows as there are no centralized, verified statistics on this.

                  By the way it looks like some hacker attacked and took down kiteforum.
                  We have this site as always of course, good thing, along with other
                  standing yahoogroups sites and relatively new php sites like
                  http://fksa.org/ .

                  What sort of QR do you pull to deal with hackers?

                  FKA, Inc.

                  transcribed by:
                  Rick Iossi

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:

                  > Hung
                  > The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't believe that the
                  > market has changed a lot since, but that is only my guess. Naish,
                  > North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market between them and I
                  > believe that they still dominate the market.
                  >
                  > And I would guess that the whole industry might be over $100 million
                  > a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons, accessories etc.
                  >
                  > :-)
                  > Chris Glazier
                  >

                  > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
                  > > So the whole industry is around $30 to $60 million per year.
                  > >
                  > > How long ago was that Chris?
                  > >
                  > > Hung.
                  > >
                  > > Chris Glazier wrote:
                  > >
                  > > >This has been discussed before. I seem to recall a resonable
                  > > >conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a very rough
                  > estimate.
                  > > >The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha in terms of
                  > sales.
                  > > >
                  > > >:-)
                  > > >Chris Glazier
                  > > >

                  > > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                  > > >http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the answers
                  > > >to the most frequently asked questions.
                  > > >
                  > > >=== to unsubscribe, please send an email to kitesurf-
                  > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                  > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Chris Glazier
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
                    Hi Rick
                    Yeah, this is the second time kiteform.com has had a major
                    disruption. Here in the Vancouver area we have a good forum called
                    skypilotkiteboarding.com. A lot of us now spend more time on it. A
                    local forum has more immediate news and handles local issues.

                    I doubt that we will ever accurately know the size of the kite
                    industry because everyone I have met is very secretive about their
                    sales statistics.

                    Chris

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hello Chris and Hung,
                    >
                    > I heard the same figure for 2003. I read an unattributed figure of
                    > 70,000 to 80,000 kites to be manufactured in 2004 on kiteforum.
                    Who
                    > knows as there are no centralized, verified statistics on this.
                    >
                    > By the way it looks like some hacker attacked and took down
                    kiteforum.
                    > We have this site as always of course, good thing, along with
                    other
                    > standing yahoogroups sites and relatively new php sites like
                    > http://fksa.org/ .
                    >
                    > What sort of QR do you pull to deal with hackers?
                    >
                    > FKA, Inc.
                    >
                    > transcribed by:
                    > Rick Iossi
                    >
                    > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
                    wrote:

                    > > Hung
                    > > The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't believe that the
                    > > market has changed a lot since, but that is only my guess.
                    Naish,
                    > > North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market between them
                    and I
                    > > believe that they still dominate the market.
                    > >
                    > > And I would guess that the whole industry might be over $100
                    million
                    > > a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons, accessories
                    etc.

                    > > :-)
                    > > Chris Glazier
                    > >

                    > > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
                    > > > So the whole industry is around $30 to $60 million per year.
                    > > >
                    > > > How long ago was that Chris?
                    > > >
                    > > > Hung.

                    > > estimate.
                    > > sales.

                    > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===

                  • flkitesurfer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
                      Hello Chris,

                      Yes you folks have put together a good website in the NW with a forum,
                      lots of feature articles, site info and more. It does seem to be a
                      bit silly to discuss local launch characteristics or meets later on
                      the same day on an international forum like kiteforum. Local forums
                      are far more appropriate for that sort of traffic and the areas you
                      mentioned as well.

                      The industry doesn't broadcast information of this sort currently and
                      may never for that matter. Time will tell I guess.

                    • yalcin hocaoglu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
                        As far as i read from a business development
                        report, it's 150 mil. USD for power kiting and
                        accessories for North America only.
                        yalcin.
                        --- Chris Glazier <cglazier@...> wrote:

                        > Hung
                        > The 60,000 kites estimate was for 2003. I don't
                        > believe that the
                        > market has changed a lot since, but that is only my
                        > guess. Naish,
                        > North and Cabrinha had about half the kite market
                        > between them and I
                        > believe that they still dominate the market.
                        >
                        > And I would guess that the whole industry might be
                        > over $100 million
                        > a year if you include boards, wetsuits, lessons,
                        > accessories etc.
                        >
                        > :-)
                        > Chris Glazier
                        >

                        > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Hung Vu
                        > <hungvu2000@r...> wrote:
                        > > So the whole industry is around $30 to $60 million
                        > per year.
                        > >
                        > > How long ago was that Chris?
                        > >
                        > > Hung.
                        > >
                        > > Chris Glazier wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >This has been discussed before. I seem to recall
                        > a resonable
                        > > >conclusion was about 60,000 kites per year as a
                        > very rough
                        > estimate.
                        > > >The major players are Naish, North, and Cabrinha
                        > in terms of
                        > sales.
                        > > >
                        > > >:-)
                        > > >Chris Glazier
                        > > >

                        > > >If you are new to kitesurfing, please visit
                        > > >http://www.KitesurfingSchool.org/faqs.htm for the
                        > answers
                        > > >to the most frequently asked questions.
                        > > >
                        > > >=== to unsubscribe, please send an email to
                        > kitesurf-
                        > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
                        > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > answers

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                      • Hung Vu
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2004
                          flkitesurfer wrote:

                          >What sort of QR do you pull to deal with hackers?

                          There is no QR. They are of very "intelligent breed"!

                          What I don't understand is why such an "intelligent breed" has to break
                          down a site such as kiteforum.com ?

                          Hung.