Re: [ksurf] Cuba Vacation in Varadero

  • loco
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
      Paul,

      Any more info on costs of the resort and food, car rental etc?
      And getting there, and where from?
      Any waves?
      Thanks
      loco

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
        For information on the resort go to
        http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/
        This is one of the best sites for reviews of Caribbean resorts. They even
        have the resort map. I was in building 29 which is the closest to the
        launch area.

        We traveled from Toronto with Air Transat. The cost was about $1250 per
        person with Club Transat. Club Transat is a better class of service with
        include wide seats, cooked meals, bar service,... but most importantly for
        kiteboarders, a higher luggage allowance. That is 40kg per person rather
        that 20kg.

        We didn't rent a car.

        To look up prices I would recommend www.selloffvacations.com.

        Where are you from loco?

        Cheers,
        Paul

        > I just got back from a vacation at TRYP Peninsula Varadero. We were
        > there Nov. 19-26. This resort is on the north side of the peninsula near
        > the end where the land curves towards the south. The beach is at a great
        > angle for a side-onshore wind coming from the east or east-north-east.
        The
        > first five days were all kiteable right from the beach at the resort with
        > perfect side-onshore conditions. The last three days the wind died and
        blew
        > offshore.
        > I got out kiting on three days with my 13m 2004 Slingshot Fuel and
        > my Hana Crew Genesis II, a 133cm x 38cm board. The first two of these
        days
        > was perfect for my 140 lbs. The last was just slightly too little for me
        > stay upwind with this equipment. If I had brought one of my bigger boards
        > or my 17m Cabrinha Black Tip I'm sure it would have been no problem.
        > The launching area was perfect. The beach was about 35m wide and to
        > the east of the resort there was a gap of about 200m before the next
        resort.
        > This area was completely clear with plenty of space to self launches and
        > landings.
        > As for a kiteboading destination I couldn't ask for much more. My
        > understanding is that the wind is better in January-March so that might be
        > better time to go.
        > As for the resort, unfortunately the food left us wanting and the
        > lack of high chairs for our 21-month daughter was more of a pain than I
        > would have imagined.
        > Hung, where did you stay when you went to Varadero last year?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Paul

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        to the most frequently asked questions.