Re: [ksurf] Re: Cabrinha RECON instructional video

  • Don Holley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2004
      Here is a link to the RECON video on another Web site.
      http://www.windsurfingperth.com.au/video/Recon%20Low.mov

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2004
        Just thought I would let everyone know about how things went with
        day in court.
        On May 10, 2004 I was kiteboarding from kitebeach in Keswick,
        Ontario, Canada. When I came to shore an officer approached me and asked me
        why I wasn't wearing a like jacket. I said I didn't know I needed one. He
        said that as I was "windsurfing", I did need one. I said this isn't a
        windsurfer, it's a kiteboard. The conversation became ridiculous and
        frustrating. He gave me a ticket and would not listen to reason. All the
        other kiteboarders tried to reason with him also to no avail. He then left
        without giving out any other tickets (i.e. to any of the other kiteboarders
        or actual windsurfers.)
        That is the history. I just had my day in court on November 10,
        2004. I'm happy to say that I won. I disappointed in the way I won. They
        dropped the charge. What a waste of time. I was prepared to defend the
        charge to set a precedent. For those who are interested, they charged me
        with being in violation of section 16.01 of the "Small Vessel Regulations"
        which is part on the Canada Shipping Act. According to their line of
        reasoning I would need to have a lifejacket, a buoyant heaving line (so I
        could be towed), a paddle or anchor, a bailer, a flashlight or flare gun and
        a whistle. I hope everyone is getting a chuckle out of that.
        Anyway, according to section 3.(2) of the same act, the act does not
        apply to "floating devices" under 2m in length. My board was 1.2m. I was
        confident of a win in court.
        I spoke to one of the officers at the court and he said that they
        would be changing the act so that it covered kiteboarding.
        I actually called the Marine Unit a couple of days after I got the
        ticket and spoke to the officer's supervisor. All the officers had been
        discussing the situation as they weren't sure about the whole thing having
        never given out such a ticket before. They even consulted with the Coast
        Guard and called me back a week later. Unfortunately, at the time they
        decided to continue with the ticket.
        I hope this experience can be of some help. Has anyone else had a
        similar experience? Are there any lawyers out there who might have an
        opinion what my defense would have been?

        Cheers,
        Paul Tae
      • woodman_k
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
          Paul
          Glad to here they dropped the charge. I was nailed once in
          burlington windsurfing. Very frustarting.
          Now if I go to a place with prowling authorities I just use one of
          those inflatable one from cantire that are a little fanny pack.
          The cops may still stop you thogh as a friend had that happen and he
          had to show him the tag on it to prove it was legal!

          Stan