Re: [ksurf] sport big boards

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      I use a very big board for a pretty big person. I love it and I recommend it
      for everyone who is not yet an excellent jumper and can't stay up wind or
      goes out in inconsistent conditions.

      The key is to get the foot straps all the way down near the edge of the board
      so that your heels are right on the edge of the board. This way you can edge
      through a gust and plane through a lull. You might have to steer downwind on a
      big gust just to take up the power until you can carve away.

      If you are getting ripped off of the water then edge harder and fly the kite
      lower, just off of the water.
      Every time I switch to my Lightwave 169, not a small board, I end up having
      difficulty staying up wind when the wind dies out a bit.

      With my big board I just ride it flatter. This also allows for more mistakes
      with the kite if you are a beginner. You can also go out in less wind and
      get up. Less wind is safer. If you are not up on a plane then you are not
      getting any better, no matter how cool you look.

      If youhave consistent stronger winds then drop down to a smaller board and
      jump higher.

      I'd rather be out on my big board than standing on beach talking to you guys
      about the wonders of small boards.
      George