sport

  • jjamesonn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
      >Now to kite surfing. I have a big floaty 180 to learn with. I think
      it is probably too large as I am a proficient kiter and am learning
      well powered up. I am a slim 100Kg and use a 13m Bomba in 20mph
      winds on flatish water.
      Should I go for a smaller board, the new Brunotti 152 looks good? Or
      just go out less powered?

      >Thanks all

      It's hard for me to understand the physics (someone explain it to me
      please!) but it's much easier to handle more power with a smaller
      board. For instance I can handle much more wind with my homebuilt
      138cm than I can with my LWD 169cm. Don't get me wrong -- I still
      like the 169 but only used it for lighter wind.

      Joe
    • Iain Wood
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
        On 31 Oct 2004, at 18:51, jjamesonn wrote:

        > It's hard for me to understand the physics (someone explain it to me
        > please!) but it's much easier to handle more power with a smaller
        > board.

        Isn't it just that with a larger board it's harder to get the edge in?
        If you are pulled hard then the board will tend to flatten and skitter
        over the surface rather than edging. If you are on a little board you
        will be able to resist the flattening effect longer and therefore keep
        edging for longer. I think that is how it works anyway.

        Iain
      • CCKiteboarder@hotpop.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
          That's the way I figure it too. More edge means you can handle- resist - more pull. So to edge
          more you need to keep the kite lower too. If the kite is low you can resist more than your body
          weight. if the kite is high - the most resistance you can give is your body weight.

          But there is a way to get more edge with a big board - wider stance and/or heeel closer to back
          edge.
          The closer your feet are to the ends the more you can sink them. So with a big board with a wide
          stance and heels close to the edge I think you have a wider range. You can flatten a big board
          for lots of flotation to get thru lulls or sink the back corner aggressively to handle the gusts.
          If you are in a smooth ocean wind location it is much easier to use a big kite and a small board
          but in a gusty place you need range.

          Just my 2 cents.

          Steve
          Carson City, Nevada, USA