RE: [ksurf] Re: Dave Culp's crystal ball!

  • Stefano Rosso
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
      >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
      >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

      I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
      see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

      D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
      back side, of course!)

      == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
      you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
      doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
      them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
      idiot!)
    • John Foster
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
        Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

        Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
        From: dave@...
        Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

        NEWS RELEASE

        From: KiteShip Corporation
        To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
        RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
        Date: 6 Oct 2004

        Information Contact:
        Dave Culp, Spokesperson
        KiteShip.Com
        2004 Silver Lake Way
        Martinez, CA 94553
        Direct: 925-550-6738
        Fax: 509-471-1881
        info@...
        www.kiteship.com

        First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

        KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
        replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
        performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

        "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
        identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
        (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
        your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
        says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

        This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
        manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
        based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
        and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
        that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
        their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
        two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
        remains in place throughout."

        OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
        outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
        great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
        utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
        conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
        designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
        measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
        Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

        Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
        from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
        spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
        well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
        offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
        their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

        Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
        flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
        Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

        Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

        +++
        Visit www.kiteship.com

        or contact info@... for more information.

        ///

        +++
        Dave Culp
        Spokesperson
        KiteShip.Com
        2004 Silver Lake Way
        Martinez, CA 94553
        Direct: 925-550-6738
        Fax: 509-471-1881
        info@...
        www.kiteship.com

        --
        My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
        "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

        "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
        rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
        nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
        messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
        Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
        of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
        whether you arrive at your destination or whether
        you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
        anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
        never do anything in particular."
      • dave@kiteship.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
          > >Hello Dave,
          >>
          >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
          >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
          > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

          We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
          next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
          where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
          the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
          thrill.

          Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
          entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
          off-topic for this group.

          There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
          telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
          know.

          Dave