Re: [ksurf] Re: Dave Culp's crystal ball!

  • Peter Traykovski
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
      Stefano...

      You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
      famous for eternity!

    • dave@kiteship.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
        >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
        >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

        I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
        yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
        traffic...

        D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
        down? (the back side, of course!)

        Dave
      • Stefano Rosso
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
          >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
          >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

          I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
          see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

          D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
          back side, of course!)

          == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
          you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
          doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
          them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
          idiot!)
        • John Foster
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
            Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

            Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
            From: dave@...
            Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

            NEWS RELEASE

            From: KiteShip Corporation
            To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
            RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
            Date: 6 Oct 2004

            Information Contact:
            Dave Culp, Spokesperson
            KiteShip.Com
            2004 Silver Lake Way
            Martinez, CA 94553
            Direct: 925-550-6738
            Fax: 509-471-1881
            info@...
            www.kiteship.com

            First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

            KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
            replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
            performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

            "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
            identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
            (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
            your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
            says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

            This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
            manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
            based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
            and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
            that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
            their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
            two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
            remains in place throughout."

            OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
            outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
            great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
            utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
            conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
            designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
            measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
            Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

            Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
            from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
            spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
            well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
            offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
            their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

            Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
            flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
            Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

            Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

            +++
            Visit www.kiteship.com

            or contact info@... for more information.

            ///

            +++
            Dave Culp
            Spokesperson
            KiteShip.Com
            2004 Silver Lake Way
            Martinez, CA 94553
            Direct: 925-550-6738
            Fax: 509-471-1881
            info@...
            www.kiteship.com

            --
            My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
            "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

            "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
            rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
            nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
            messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
            Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
            of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
            whether you arrive at your destination or whether
            you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
            anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
            never do anything in particular."
          • dave@kiteship.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
              > >Hello Dave,
              >>
              >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
              >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
              > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

              We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
              next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
              where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
              the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
              thrill.

              Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
              entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
              off-topic for this group.

              There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
              telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
              know.

              Dave