Re: [ksurf] Re: Dave Culp's crystal ball!

  • TIGANAISH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
      So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
      anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
      away.
      Kurtis

    • Stefano Rosso
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
        www.zorb.com

        The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
        barrelling down a wave !

        So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
        anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the
        thrill goes
        away.
        Kurtis

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

      • Peter Traykovski
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
          Stefano...

          You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
          famous for eternity!

        • dave@kiteship.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
            >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
            >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

            I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
            yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
            traffic...

            D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
            down? (the back side, of course!)

            Dave
          • Stefano Rosso
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
              >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
              >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

              I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
              see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

              D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
              back side, of course!)

              == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
              you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
              doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
              them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
              idiot!)
            • John Foster
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                From: dave@...
                Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                NEWS RELEASE

                From: KiteShip Corporation
                To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                Date: 6 Oct 2004

                Information Contact:
                Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                KiteShip.Com
                2004 Silver Lake Way
                Martinez, CA 94553
                Direct: 925-550-6738
                Fax: 509-471-1881
                info@...
                www.kiteship.com

                First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                remains in place throughout."

                OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                +++
                Visit www.kiteship.com

                or contact info@... for more information.

                ///

                +++
                Dave Culp
                Spokesperson
                KiteShip.Com
                2004 Silver Lake Way
                Martinez, CA 94553
                Direct: 925-550-6738
                Fax: 509-471-1881
                info@...
                www.kiteship.com

                --
                My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                never do anything in particular."
              • dave@kiteship.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                  > >Hello Dave,
                  >>
                  >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                  >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                  > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                  We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                  next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                  where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                  the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                  thrill.

                  Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                  entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                  off-topic for this group.

                  There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                  telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                  know.

                  Dave