RE: [ksurf] Re: Dave Culp's crystal ball!

  • Stefano Rosso
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
      Its older than 3 years. Like kitesurfing it has 10+ years of development
      before it could actually be used viably.

      Kitesurfing is at least 20 years old (depending on what you define as
      kitesurfing) so its MUCH older than kitesurfing !

      But maybe we can zorb JAWS !

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
        So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
        anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
        away.
        Kurtis

      • Stefano Rosso
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
          www.zorb.com

          The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
          barrelling down a wave !

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
            Stefano...

            You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
            famous for eternity!

          • dave@kiteship.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
              >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
              >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

              I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
              yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
              traffic...

              D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
              down? (the back side, of course!)

              Dave
            • Stefano Rosso
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
                see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

                D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
                back side, of course!)

                == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
                you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
                doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
                them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
                idiot!)
              • John Foster
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                  Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                  From: dave@...
                  Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                  NEWS RELEASE

                  From: KiteShip Corporation
                  To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                  RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                  Date: 6 Oct 2004

                  Information Contact:
                  Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                  KiteShip.Com
                  2004 Silver Lake Way
                  Martinez, CA 94553
                  Direct: 925-550-6738
                  Fax: 509-471-1881
                  info@...
                  www.kiteship.com

                  First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                  KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                  replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                  performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                  "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                  identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                  (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                  your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                  says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                  This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                  manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                  based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                  and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                  that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                  their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                  two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                  remains in place throughout."

                  OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                  outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                  great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                  utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                  conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                  designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                  measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                  Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                  Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                  from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                  spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                  well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                  offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                  their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                  Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                  flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                  Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                  Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                  +++
                  Visit www.kiteship.com

                  or contact info@... for more information.

                  ///

                  +++
                  Dave Culp
                  Spokesperson
                  KiteShip.Com
                  2004 Silver Lake Way
                  Martinez, CA 94553
                  Direct: 925-550-6738
                  Fax: 509-471-1881
                  info@...
                  www.kiteship.com

                  --
                  My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                  "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                  "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                  rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                  nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                  messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                  Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                  of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                  whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                  you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                  anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                  never do anything in particular."
                • dave@kiteship.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                    > >Hello Dave,
                    >>
                    >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                    >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                    > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                    We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                    next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                    where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                    the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                    thrill.

                    Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                    entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                    off-topic for this group.

                    There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                    telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                    know.

                    Dave