Dave Culp's crystal ball!

  • woodman_k
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
      Dave
      Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
      I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
      1982!

      In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
      how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
      building and riding "boards" ever since.

      I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
      making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
      search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!

      What is in the crystal ball today!.

      Cheers
      Stan Woodman
    • dave@kiteship.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
        >Dave
        >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
        >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
        >1982!

        The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not the
        future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport which
        was not yet ready. ;-)

        >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
        >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
        >building and riding "boards" ever since.
        >
        >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
        >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
        >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
        >
        >What is in the crystal ball today!.

        Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?

        Dave
      • woodman_k
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
          Dave
          I am sure everyone thought you were out of your mind at that time.
          Even windsurfing was really just starting and kitsurfing???

          Cheers
          Stan

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
          > >Dave
          > >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
          > >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
          > >1982!
          >
          > The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not
          the
          > future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport
          which
          > was not yet ready. ;-)
          >

          > >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
          > >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever
          since
          > >building and riding "boards" ever since.
          > >
          > >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
          > >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
          > >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
          > >
          > >What is in the crystal ball today!.
          >
          > Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?
          >
          > Dave
        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
            >Hello Dave,
            >
            >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
            >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
            >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
            >
            >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge of
            >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull boats,
            >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers with
            >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood boards,
            >HUGE boards...
            >
            >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only thing I
            >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its just not
            >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
            >
            >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try them...
            >
            >Regards,
            >stefano
          • swengelska
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
              Laird Hamilton is into it. Foilboarding on BIG open ocean swells, or
              behind a kite.

              You can buy a board today. Don´t try it shallow water....

              Tom

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
              <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

              > >Hello Dave,
              > >
              > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
              have a
              > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
              pull
              > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
              > >
              > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
              of
              > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
              boats,
              > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
              with
              > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
              boards,
              > >HUGE boards...
              > >
              > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
              thing I
              > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
              just not
              > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
              > >
              > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
              them...

              > >Regards,
              > >stefano
            • Stefano Rosso
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from what I
                saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to brazil.

                I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try if I can
                get my hands on one.

                <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                > >Hello Dave,
                > >
                > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                have a
                > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                pull
                > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                > >
                > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                of
                > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                boats,
                > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                with
                > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                boards,
                > >HUGE boards...
                > >
                > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                thing I
                > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                just not
                > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                > >
                > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                them...

                > >Regards,
                > >stefano

                http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                Em: support@...

              • Tabitha
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                  In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)
                  Cheers
                  Tabitha
                  ps yes entertaining once, but I would debate calling it a sport.

                  wrote:
                  > I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from
                  what I
                  > saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to
                  brazil.

                  > I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                  > opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try
                  if I can
                  > get my hands on one.

                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                    Its older than 3 years. Like kitesurfing it has 10+ years of development
                    before it could actually be used viably.

                    Kitesurfing is at least 20 years old (depending on what you define as
                    kitesurfing) so its MUCH older than kitesurfing !

                    But maybe we can zorb JAWS !

                  • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                      So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
                      anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
                      away.
                      Kurtis

                    • Stefano Rosso
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                        www.zorb.com

                        The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
                        barrelling down a wave !

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                          Stefano...

                          You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
                          famous for eternity!

                        • dave@kiteship.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                            >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                            >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                            I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
                            yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
                            traffic...

                            D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
                            down? (the back side, of course!)

                            Dave
                          • Stefano Rosso
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                              >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                              >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                              I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
                              see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

                              D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
                              back side, of course!)

                              == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
                              you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
                              doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
                              them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
                              idiot!)
                            • John Foster
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                                Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                                From: dave@...
                                Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                NEWS RELEASE

                                From: KiteShip Corporation
                                To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                                RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                                Date: 6 Oct 2004

                                Information Contact:
                                Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                                KiteShip.Com
                                2004 Silver Lake Way
                                Martinez, CA 94553
                                Direct: 925-550-6738
                                Fax: 509-471-1881
                                info@...
                                www.kiteship.com

                                First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                                replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                                performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                                "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                                identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                                (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                                your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                                says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                                This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                                manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                                based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                                and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                                that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                                their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                                two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                                remains in place throughout."

                                OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                                outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                                great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                                utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                                conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                                designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                                measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                                Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                                Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                                from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                                spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                                well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                                offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                                their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                                Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                                flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                                Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                                Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                                +++
                                Visit www.kiteship.com

                                or contact info@... for more information.

                                ///

                                +++
                                Dave Culp
                                Spokesperson
                                KiteShip.Com
                                2004 Silver Lake Way
                                Martinez, CA 94553
                                Direct: 925-550-6738
                                Fax: 509-471-1881
                                info@...
                                www.kiteship.com

                                --
                                My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                                "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                                "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                                rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                                nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                                messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                                Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                                of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                                whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                                you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                                anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                                never do anything in particular."
                              • dave@kiteship.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                                  > >Hello Dave,
                                  >>
                                  >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                                  >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                                  > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                                  We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                                  next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                                  where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                                  the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                                  thrill.

                                  Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                                  entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                                  off-topic for this group.

                                  There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                                  telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                                  know.

                                  Dave