Re: [ksurf] The world first bidirectional kiteboard?

  • Myron
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"
      > Sounds interesting! Is there a link to the patent?
      >
      > Hung.

      found it here...
      http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97is.dll?
      Action=View&ViewTemplate=e/gb/en/viewer.hts&collection=dips&SearchTyp
      e=1&VdkVgwKey=GB2130971A
    • woodman_k
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
        Dave
        Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
        I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
        1982!

        In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
        how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
        building and riding "boards" ever since.

        I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
        making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
        search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!

        What is in the crystal ball today!.

        Cheers
        Stan Woodman
      • dave@kiteship.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
          >Dave
          >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
          >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
          >1982!

          The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not the
          future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport which
          was not yet ready. ;-)

          >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
          >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
          >building and riding "boards" ever since.
          >
          >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
          >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
          >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
          >
          >What is in the crystal ball today!.

          Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?

          Dave
        • woodman_k
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
            Dave
            I am sure everyone thought you were out of your mind at that time.
            Even windsurfing was really just starting and kitsurfing???

            Cheers
            Stan

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
            > >Dave
            > >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
            > >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
            > >1982!
            >
            > The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not
            the
            > future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport
            which
            > was not yet ready. ;-)
            >

            > >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
            > >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever
            since
            > >building and riding "boards" ever since.
            > >
            > >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
            > >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
            > >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
            > >
            > >What is in the crystal ball today!.
            >
            > Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?
            >
            > Dave
          • Stefano Rosso
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
              >Hello Dave,
              >
              >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
              >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
              >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
              >
              >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge of
              >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull boats,
              >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers with
              >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood boards,
              >HUGE boards...
              >
              >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only thing I
              >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its just not
              >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
              >
              >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try them...
              >
              >Regards,
              >stefano
            • swengelska
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                Laird Hamilton is into it. Foilboarding on BIG open ocean swells, or
                behind a kite.

                You can buy a board today. Don´t try it shallow water....

                Tom

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
                <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                > >Hello Dave,
                > >
                > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                have a
                > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                pull
                > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                > >
                > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                of
                > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                boats,
                > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                with
                > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                boards,
                > >HUGE boards...
                > >
                > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                thing I
                > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                just not
                > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                > >
                > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                them...

                > >Regards,
                > >stefano
              • Stefano Rosso
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                  I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from what I
                  saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to brazil.

                  I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                  opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try if I can
                  get my hands on one.

                  <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                  > >Hello Dave,
                  > >
                  > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                  have a
                  > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                  pull
                  > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                  > >
                  > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                  of
                  > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                  boats,
                  > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                  with
                  > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                  boards,
                  > >HUGE boards...
                  > >
                  > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                  thing I
                  > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                  just not
                  > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                  > >
                  > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                  them...

                  > >Regards,
                  > >stefano

                  http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                  ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                  ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                  Em: support@...

                • Tabitha
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                    Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                    In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)
                    Cheers
                    Tabitha
                    ps yes entertaining once, but I would debate calling it a sport.

                    wrote:
                    > I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from
                    what I
                    > saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to
                    brazil.

                    > I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                    > opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try
                    if I can
                    > get my hands on one.

                  • Stefano Rosso
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                      Its older than 3 years. Like kitesurfing it has 10+ years of development
                      before it could actually be used viably.

                      Kitesurfing is at least 20 years old (depending on what you define as
                      kitesurfing) so its MUCH older than kitesurfing !

                      But maybe we can zorb JAWS !

                    • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                        So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
                        anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
                        away.
                        Kurtis

                      • Stefano Rosso
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                          www.zorb.com

                          The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
                          barrelling down a wave !

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                            Stefano...

                            You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
                            famous for eternity!

                          • dave@kiteship.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                              >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                              >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                              I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
                              yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
                              traffic...

                              D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
                              down? (the back side, of course!)

                              Dave
                            • Stefano Rosso
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                                >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                                I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
                                see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

                                D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
                                back side, of course!)

                                == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
                                you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
                                doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
                                them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
                                idiot!)
                              • John Foster
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                                  Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                                  From: dave@...
                                  Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                  NEWS RELEASE

                                  From: KiteShip Corporation
                                  To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                                  RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                                  Date: 6 Oct 2004

                                  Information Contact:
                                  Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                                  KiteShip.Com
                                  2004 Silver Lake Way
                                  Martinez, CA 94553
                                  Direct: 925-550-6738
                                  Fax: 509-471-1881
                                  info@...
                                  www.kiteship.com

                                  First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                  KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                                  replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                                  performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                                  "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                                  identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                                  (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                                  your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                                  says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                                  This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                                  manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                                  based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                                  and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                                  that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                                  their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                                  two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                                  remains in place throughout."

                                  OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                                  outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                                  great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                                  utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                                  conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                                  designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                                  measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                                  Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                                  Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                                  from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                                  spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                                  well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                                  offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                                  their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                                  Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                                  flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                                  Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                                  Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                                  +++
                                  Visit www.kiteship.com

                                  or contact info@... for more information.

                                  ///

                                  +++
                                  Dave Culp
                                  Spokesperson
                                  KiteShip.Com
                                  2004 Silver Lake Way
                                  Martinez, CA 94553
                                  Direct: 925-550-6738
                                  Fax: 509-471-1881
                                  info@...
                                  www.kiteship.com

                                  --
                                  My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                                  "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                                  "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                                  rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                                  nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                                  messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                                  Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                                  of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                                  whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                                  you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                                  anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                                  never do anything in particular."
                                • dave@kiteship.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                                    > >Hello Dave,
                                    >>
                                    >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                                    >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                                    > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                                    We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                                    next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                                    where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                                    the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                                    thrill.

                                    Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                                    entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                                    off-topic for this group.

                                    There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                                    telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                                    know.

                                    Dave