Re: [ksurf] The world first bidirectional kiteboard?

  • dave@kiteship.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      >http://inflatablekite.com/galerie/show.php?start=90&file=hhh1998i-louwainman.jpg&album=1
      >
      >Many has said Lou "invented" bidirectional kiteboard. This 1998 picture
      >may have proved it...
      >
      >Hung.

      Um... I patented a bidirectional kiteboard in 1984 (applied in 1982).
      I strongly suspect wake boarders were kitesailing bidirectionals long
      before 1998.

      My patent number (in Great Britain) was: GB2130971A

      Cheers,

      Dave Culp
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
        > Um... I patented a bidirectional kiteboard in 1984 (applied in 1982).
        > My patent number (in Great Britain) was: GB2130971A

        Dave,

        Sounds interesting! Is there a link to the patent?

        Hung.
      • Myron
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"
          > Sounds interesting! Is there a link to the patent?
          >
          > Hung.

          found it here...
          http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97is.dll?
          Action=View&ViewTemplate=e/gb/en/viewer.hts&collection=dips&SearchTyp
          e=1&VdkVgwKey=GB2130971A
        • woodman_k
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
            Dave
            Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
            I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
            1982!

            In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
            how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
            building and riding "boards" ever since.

            I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
            making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
            search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!

            What is in the crystal ball today!.

            Cheers
            Stan Woodman
          • dave@kiteship.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
              >Dave
              >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
              >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
              >1982!

              The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not the
              future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport which
              was not yet ready. ;-)

              >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
              >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
              >building and riding "boards" ever since.
              >
              >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
              >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
              >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
              >
              >What is in the crystal ball today!.

              Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?

              Dave
            • woodman_k
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                Dave
                I am sure everyone thought you were out of your mind at that time.
                Even windsurfing was really just starting and kitsurfing???

                Cheers
                Stan

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
                > >Dave
                > >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
                > >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
                > >1982!
                >
                > The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not
                the
                > future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport
                which
                > was not yet ready. ;-)
                >

                > >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
                > >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever
                since
                > >building and riding "boards" ever since.
                > >
                > >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
                > >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
                > >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
                > >
                > >What is in the crystal ball today!.
                >
                > Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?
                >
                > Dave
              • Stefano Rosso
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                  >Hello Dave,
                  >
                  >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                  >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                  >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                  >
                  >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge of
                  >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull boats,
                  >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers with
                  >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood boards,
                  >HUGE boards...
                  >
                  >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only thing I
                  >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its just not
                  >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                  >
                  >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try them...
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >stefano
                • swengelska
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Laird Hamilton is into it. Foilboarding on BIG open ocean swells, or
                    behind a kite.

                    You can buy a board today. Don´t try it shallow water....

                    Tom

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
                    <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                    > >Hello Dave,
                    > >
                    > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                    have a
                    > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                    pull
                    > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                    > >
                    > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                    of
                    > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                    boats,
                    > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                    with
                    > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                    boards,
                    > >HUGE boards...
                    > >
                    > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                    thing I
                    > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                    just not
                    > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                    > >
                    > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                    them...

                    > >Regards,
                    > >stefano
                  • Stefano Rosso
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                      I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from what I
                      saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to brazil.

                      I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                      opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try if I can
                      get my hands on one.

                      <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                      > >Hello Dave,
                      > >
                      > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                      have a
                      > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                      pull
                      > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                      > >
                      > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                      of
                      > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                      boats,
                      > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                      with
                      > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                      boards,
                      > >HUGE boards...
                      > >
                      > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                      thing I
                      > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                      just not
                      > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                      > >
                      > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                      them...

                      > >Regards,
                      > >stefano

                      http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                      ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                      ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                      Em: support@...

                    • Tabitha
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                        Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                        In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)
                        Cheers
                        Tabitha
                        ps yes entertaining once, but I would debate calling it a sport.

                        wrote:
                        > I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from
                        what I
                        > saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to
                        brazil.

                        > I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                        > opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try
                        if I can
                        > get my hands on one.

                      • Stefano Rosso
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                          Its older than 3 years. Like kitesurfing it has 10+ years of development
                          before it could actually be used viably.

                          Kitesurfing is at least 20 years old (depending on what you define as
                          kitesurfing) so its MUCH older than kitesurfing !

                          But maybe we can zorb JAWS !

                        • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                            So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
                            anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
                            away.
                            Kurtis

                          • Stefano Rosso
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                              www.zorb.com

                              The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
                              barrelling down a wave !

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                Stefano...

                                You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
                                famous for eternity!

                              • dave@kiteship.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                                  >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                                  I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
                                  yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
                                  traffic...

                                  D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
                                  down? (the back side, of course!)

                                  Dave
                                • Stefano Rosso
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                    >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                                    >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                                    I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
                                    see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

                                    D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
                                    back side, of course!)

                                    == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
                                    you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
                                    doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
                                    them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
                                    idiot!)
                                  • John Foster
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                      Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                                      Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                                      From: dave@...
                                      Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                      NEWS RELEASE

                                      From: KiteShip Corporation
                                      To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                                      RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                                      Date: 6 Oct 2004

                                      Information Contact:
                                      Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                                      KiteShip.Com
                                      2004 Silver Lake Way
                                      Martinez, CA 94553
                                      Direct: 925-550-6738
                                      Fax: 509-471-1881
                                      info@...
                                      www.kiteship.com

                                      First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                      KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                                      replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                                      performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                                      "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                                      identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                                      (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                                      your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                                      says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                                      This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                                      manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                                      based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                                      and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                                      that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                                      their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                                      two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                                      remains in place throughout."

                                      OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                                      outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                                      great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                                      utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                                      conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                                      designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                                      measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                                      Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                                      Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                                      from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                                      spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                                      well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                                      offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                                      their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                                      Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                                      flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                                      Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                                      Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                                      +++
                                      Visit www.kiteship.com

                                      or contact info@... for more information.

                                      ///

                                      +++
                                      Dave Culp
                                      Spokesperson
                                      KiteShip.Com
                                      2004 Silver Lake Way
                                      Martinez, CA 94553
                                      Direct: 925-550-6738
                                      Fax: 509-471-1881
                                      info@...
                                      www.kiteship.com

                                      --
                                      My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                                      "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                                      "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                                      rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                                      nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                                      messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                                      Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                                      of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                                      whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                                      you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                                      anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                                      never do anything in particular."
                                    • dave@kiteship.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                                        > >Hello Dave,
                                        >>
                                        >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                                        >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                                        > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                                        We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                                        next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                                        where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                                        the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                                        thrill.

                                        Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                                        entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                                        off-topic for this group.

                                        There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                                        telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                                        know.

                                        Dave