The world first bidirectional kiteboard?

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      http://inflatablekite.com/galerie/show.php?start=90&file=hhh1998i-louwainman.jpg&album=1

      Many has said Lou "invented" bidirectional kiteboard. This 1998 picture
      may have proved it...

      Hung.
    • dave@kiteship.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        >http://inflatablekite.com/galerie/show.php?start=90&file=hhh1998i-louwainman.jpg&album=1
        >
        >Many has said Lou "invented" bidirectional kiteboard. This 1998 picture
        >may have proved it...
        >
        >Hung.

        Um... I patented a bidirectional kiteboard in 1984 (applied in 1982).
        I strongly suspect wake boarders were kitesailing bidirectionals long
        before 1998.

        My patent number (in Great Britain) was: GB2130971A

        Cheers,

        Dave Culp
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
          > Um... I patented a bidirectional kiteboard in 1984 (applied in 1982).
          > My patent number (in Great Britain) was: GB2130971A

          Dave,

          Sounds interesting! Is there a link to the patent?

          Hung.
        • Myron
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"
            > Sounds interesting! Is there a link to the patent?
            >
            > Hung.

            found it here...
            http://gb.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97is.dll?
            Action=View&ViewTemplate=e/gb/en/viewer.hts&collection=dips&SearchTyp
            e=1&VdkVgwKey=GB2130971A
          • woodman_k
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
              Dave
              Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
              I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
              1982!

              In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
              how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
              building and riding "boards" ever since.

              I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
              making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
              search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!

              What is in the crystal ball today!.

              Cheers
              Stan Woodman
            • dave@kiteship.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                >Dave
                >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
                >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
                >1982!

                The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not the
                future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport which
                was not yet ready. ;-)

                >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
                >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever since
                >building and riding "boards" ever since.
                >
                >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
                >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
                >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
                >
                >What is in the crystal ball today!.

                Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?

                Dave
              • woodman_k
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Dave
                  I am sure everyone thought you were out of your mind at that time.
                  Even windsurfing was really just starting and kitsurfing???

                  Cheers
                  Stan

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
                  > >Dave
                  > >Wow! Talk about seeing the future man!
                  > >I am amazed that you could be thinking about kitesurfing back in
                  > >1982!
                  >
                  > The stupid thing is that I thought I was seeing the present, not
                  the
                  > future, and invested a great deal of time and money in a sport
                  which
                  > was not yet ready. ;-)
                  >

                  > >In perspective that same year I went to Germay and found a book on
                  > >how to make your own sailboard....It's been a great time ever
                  since
                  > >building and riding "boards" ever since.
                  > >
                  > >I am now sewing kites as well and it is really as addictive as
                  > >making boards. I only got kite addiction in 1999 and the internet
                  > >search "powerkite". You were there on that search right away!
                  > >
                  > >What is in the crystal ball today!.
                  >
                  > Careful what you ask for. Do you really want an answer?
                  >
                  > Dave
                • Stefano Rosso
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                    >Hello Dave,
                    >
                    >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                    >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                    >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                    >
                    >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge of
                    >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull boats,
                    >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers with
                    >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood boards,
                    >HUGE boards...
                    >
                    >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only thing I
                    >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its just not
                    >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                    >
                    >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try them...
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >stefano
                  • swengelska
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                      Laird Hamilton is into it. Foilboarding on BIG open ocean swells, or
                      behind a kite.

                      You can buy a board today. Don´t try it shallow water....

                      Tom

                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Stefano Rosso"
                      <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                      > >Hello Dave,
                      > >
                      > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                      have a
                      > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                      pull
                      > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                      > >
                      > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                      of
                      > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                      boats,
                      > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                      with
                      > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                      boards,
                      > >HUGE boards...
                      > >
                      > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                      thing I
                      > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                      just not
                      > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                      > >
                      > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                      them...

                      > >Regards,
                      > >stefano
                    • Stefano Rosso
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 6, 2004
                        I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from what I
                        saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to brazil.

                        I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                        opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try if I can
                        get my hands on one.

                        <stefano.rosso@a...> wrote:

                        > >Hello Dave,
                        > >
                        > >I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I
                        have a
                        > >feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to
                        pull
                        > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.
                        > >
                        > >I don't get such a high from kitesurfing anymore... The challenge
                        of
                        > >learning a new sport is gone. I have tried using a kite to pull
                        boats,
                        > >skateboards, canoes... I tried stacking, pulling two kitesurfers
                        with
                        > >one kite. Two kitesurfers on one boards, skimboars, plywood
                        boards,
                        > >HUGE boards...
                        > >
                        > >Other day I tried googling the web for new sports and the only
                        thing I
                        > >found was Zorbing (http://www.zorb.com) which I tried and its
                        just not
                        > >what you can really call a sport (its not exciting).
                        > >
                        > >So if you have any new ideas I am willing to hear about and try
                        them...

                        > >Regards,
                        > >stefano

                        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
                        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
                        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
                        Em: support@...

                      • Tabitha
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                          Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                          In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)
                          Cheers
                          Tabitha
                          ps yes entertaining once, but I would debate calling it a sport.

                          wrote:
                          > I looked into that... Boards are REALLY expensive... 2000 USD from
                          what I
                          > saw. And plus they weigh 20+ kg so its difficult to get one here to
                          brazil.

                          > I have some places with only shallow water so it would constrict my
                          > opportunities rather than expand them... But I might give it a try
                          if I can
                          > get my hands on one.

                        • Stefano Rosso
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                            Its older than 3 years. Like kitesurfing it has 10+ years of development
                            before it could actually be used viably.

                            Kitesurfing is at least 20 years old (depending on what you define as
                            kitesurfing) so its MUCH older than kitesurfing !

                            But maybe we can zorb JAWS !

                          • TIGANAISH@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                              So what is Zorbing anyway? I, like Stefano, have always wanted to try
                              anything new. Then once I become fairly proficient at it a lot of the thrill goes
                              away.
                              Kurtis

                            • Stefano Rosso
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                www.zorb.com

                                The site is not interesting but think of getting into one of those and
                                barrelling down a wave !

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                  Stefano...

                                  You could be the first to go over Niagra falls in a zorb...You would be
                                  famous for eternity!

                                • dave@kiteship.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                    >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                                    >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                                    I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've
                                    yet to see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in
                                    traffic...

                                    D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back
                                    down? (the back side, of course!)

                                    Dave
                                  • Stefano Rosso
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                      >Zorbing is at least 3 years old, if not more.
                                      >In fact I think I heard about it before kiting :)

                                      I think Zorbing has legs. Nobody's yet gone off cliffs with one. I've yet to
                                      see one careening down a Class 5 river rapid... or in traffic...

                                      D'you suppose you could carry one up El Capitan and ride it back down? (the
                                      back side, of course!)

                                      == they wont sell to private individuals. They only franchise the product so
                                      you set up a site for people to roll down grass hills. The owner said he
                                      doesn't sell because some idiots have thought of going off buildings with
                                      them ! I just want to ride waves with them (I guess that makes me less of an
                                      idiot!)
                                    • John Foster
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 7, 2004
                                        Here is what he is up to today (at the Annapolis Boat show this week):

                                        Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:19 -0700
                                        From: dave@...
                                        Subject: NR - First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                        NEWS RELEASE

                                        From: KiteShip Corporation
                                        To: Yachting, Racing, Kites, Voyaging, Cruising
                                        RE: First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee
                                        Date: 6 Oct 2004

                                        Information Contact:
                                        Dave Culp, Spokesperson
                                        KiteShip.Com
                                        2004 Silver Lake Way
                                        Martinez, CA 94553
                                        Direct: 925-550-6738
                                        Fax: 509-471-1881
                                        info@...
                                        www.kiteship.com

                                        First Ever Performance-Based Sail Guarantee

                                        KiteShip.Com, sailing innovators and makers of OutLeader spinnaker
                                        replacement kites today announces the industry's first money-back
                                        performance-based guarantee for its free-flying sailing kites.

                                        "If, after 15 hours flying time, your boat is not faster than an
                                        identical boat, with the same size spinnaker, in the same conditions
                                        (minimum average wind speed 10 knots), we will cheerfully buy back
                                        your kite. We reserve only the right to be aboard during the test,"
                                        says Dave Culp, President of KiteShip.Com.

                                        This is the first time in the sailing industry's history that a
                                        manufacturer has offered an across-the-board money-back guarantee
                                        based on a product's competitive performance. "Ours is a new concept,
                                        and although flying these kites is straightforward and FAST, we feel
                                        that our prospective customers deserve a level of reassurance that
                                        their hard-earned money is well spent," offers Culp. "Our standard
                                        two-year warranty against defects in materials/workmanship
                                        remains in place throughout."

                                        OutLeader spinnaker replacement kites are designed to replace and to
                                        outperform both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers aboard the
                                        great majority of racing and voyaging sailing yachts. OutLeaders
                                        utilize stronger, smother winds aloft to make them more powerful than
                                        conventional spinnakers of equal size. The kites were initially
                                        designed to be rule-legal off-wind sails in the America's Cup, and
                                        measure-in as legal asymmetrical spinnakers, per the International
                                        Sailing Federation's (ISAF) Equipment Rules of Sailing.

                                        Due to their unique design, these kites are flown from the deck, not
                                        from the mast. OutLeader kite-powered boats are less prone to
                                        spinnaker broaches, bow burying and high speed control issues, as
                                        well as less prone to catastrophic dismastings. A number of
                                        offshore-capable yachts are already carrying OutLeader kites for
                                        their "get home" capability in the event of rig failure.

                                        Contact KiteShip; info@..., and at +1 925 550 6738. See them
                                        flown at distributors in New England, the Pacific Northwest, San
                                        Francisco, Florida, the UK and Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

                                        Look for KiteShip.Com at the Annapolis Boat Show, Oct 7-11. Dock G.

                                        +++
                                        Visit www.kiteship.com

                                        or contact info@... for more information.

                                        ///

                                        +++
                                        Dave Culp
                                        Spokesperson
                                        KiteShip.Com
                                        2004 Silver Lake Way
                                        Martinez, CA 94553
                                        Direct: 925-550-6738
                                        Fax: 509-471-1881
                                        info@...
                                        www.kiteship.com

                                        --
                                        My life seems to have evolved to be much like the
                                        "Words to Live By" from "The Wind in the Willows"

                                        "Believe me, my young friend (said the water
                                        rat, solemnly), there is nothing - absolutely
                                        nothing - half as much worth doing as simply
                                        messing about in boats. Simply messing about.
                                        Nothing seems really to matter, that's the charm
                                        of it. Whether you get away or whether you don't,
                                        whether you arrive at your destination or whether
                                        you reach somewhere else, or whether you get
                                        anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you
                                        never do anything in particular."
                                      • dave@kiteship.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 9, 2004
                                          > >Hello Dave,
                                          >>
                                          >>I would love to hear an answer. I hope it's a sport... Because I have a
                                          >>feeling you are going to discuss something about using kites to pull
                                          > >BIG boats in you crystal ball visions.

                                          We are on different pages, Stefano. I don't pretend to foretell the
                                          next big adrenaline sport; I only know kite sailing. I can tell you
                                          where kiteboarding is heading, and what's likely to be "news" over
                                          the next 5-10 years in the sport, but I'm not inventing the next big
                                          thrill.

                                          Kite boating is quite different from kiteboarding, and will run in
                                          entirely different directions. I can talk about that, too, but it's
                                          off-topic for this group.

                                          There is some interest in the kiteboarding magazines for my "fortune
                                          telling," so I may have to let it wait for that, but I'll let you
                                          know.

                                          Dave