The kite & board manufacturers need to take a safety stand

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2004
      In its early days, kitesurfing is a VERY DANGEROUS sport as nobody know
      what to do or expect.

      RickI was one of the first victims of the chicken loop (I was somewhat
      responsible for its popularity) and he in turn became the ambassador of
      the kitesurfing safety cruisade (great work Rick!).

      Over the years, most of the danger of kitesurfing is very well known.
      There will be more accidents for sure but most of them will be very much
      repeativety.

      Kitesurfing safety issues and work around are pretty well-known and very
      well documented at schools or online.

      It's time for the manufacturers to take a stand regarding safety and to
      be more responsible.

      One of the manufacturers I know of is Litewave who takes a very serious
      stand regarding safety (no board leash - as board leash is dangerous).

      All other kite and board manufacturers need to take a stand regarding
      safety: How safe their equipment is and what to do to make it safe...

      Hung.

    • Armin Harich
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2004
        Hi

        We have at the european kitesruf-trophy.de already a safety standard.
        The riders equipment need to fit to the standart if you want to
        participate.
        The Safetychief mmMeikel also publiced the results in the german kite
        mag. The results are postet at kitforum.com too. I think it is a good
        start.
        Brands should develop equipment, that is also save in practice and not
        only at theoretical tests. That is quite easy now, because every brand
        only need to collect if there was a problem with there equipment.
        If the people will discuss problems in the forums, brands are pushed to
        develop save equipment that works in real live.

        Bye, Armin
        www.flysurfer.de