[ksurf] Re: Quick Release vs Deadman

  • Dave Culp
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 1998
      Have a look at commercial fishing set-ups. On any boat using outriggers
      (salmon, albacore, swordfish; most hobbiest sportfishermen), they use
      similar systems. Generally they use a ring tied into the main line, with
      the line running freely through another ring attached to the outrigger
      pole. The main-line ring is designed to pass through all
      pulleys/fairleads/winches, just not through the (final) smaller ring on
      the outrigger pole line. Using this, the outrigger takes the pull when
      trolling, but the fisherman takes the fish over when fighting it, just by
      reeling in some line.

      --
      Dave Culp Speedsailing dave@... http://www.dcss.org/speedsl
      Kite powered boats, high speed sailing, proas and more. Check it out!

    • Ian Young
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 1998
        I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way - I assure you that I want this
        sport to be as safe as possible.

        But I think with the number of learners (myself included) that are reading these
        postings on quick and deadman releases, that a point is made about the
        importance of commitment, determination and judgement.

        I have been developing a training package for the school I will be starting soon
        and when teaching friends and family I have found that it takes some time for
        people to get used to the power that these kites can generate.

        A common fault I have observed is that until confidence is built through
        practise/ experience, people tend to lack commitment and determination to keep
        control of the kite at all times eg often when a power kite starts to pull hard,
        learners tend to walk toward the kite rather than lean back against the pull -
        obvious to the experienced kite flyer: without tension on the lines you can't
        effectively control the kite!

        I would hate to see people defaulting to releasing a kite pre-maturely rather
        than fighting to regain/ keep control of a kite. Even with all the released
        discussed to date you still have a kite falling or flying with lines trailing
        from it that can still injure people or tangle on stationary or moving objects.
        A kite without tension on the lines (released or otherwise) is still out of
        control!

        The key IMO, is judgement of when to release a kite because there is no chance
        of bringing it back under control.

        Something else that may be worth considering that we use hang gliding when aero
        or vehicle towing is the compulsory use of weak-links (usually 1.2G) in addition
        to a "three ring circus" quick release.

        Cheers,
        Ian

        WinDesigns Australia:
        9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
        Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
        Mobile: 0414 716 812
        Email: IanYoung@...
        Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

      • Michel Montmigny
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 1998
          Ian Young wrote:

          > I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way - I assure you that I want this
          > sport to be as safe as possible.
          >
          > But I think with the number of learners (myself included) that are reading these
          > postings on quick and deadman releases, that a point is made about the
          > importance of commitment, determination and judgement.
          >
          > I have been developing a training package for the school I will be starting soon
          > and when teaching friends and family I have found that it takes some time for
          > people to get used to the power that these kites can generate.
          >
          > A common fault I have observed is that until confidence is built through
          > practise/ experience, people tend to lack commitment and determination to keep
          > control of the kite at all times eg often when a power kite starts to pull hard,
          > learners tend to walk toward the kite rather than lean back against the pull -
          > obvious to the experienced kite flyer: without tension on the lines you can't
          > effectively control the kite!
          >
          > I would hate to see people defaulting to releasing a kite pre-maturely rather
          > than fighting to regain/ keep control of a kite. Even with all the released
          > discussed to date you still have a kite falling or flying with lines trailing
          > from it that can still injure people or tangle on stationary or moving objects.
          > A kite without tension on the lines (released or otherwise) is still out of
          > control!
          >
          > The key IMO, is judgement of when to release a kite because there is no chance
          > of bringing it back under control.
          >
          > Something else that may be worth considering that we use hang gliding when aero
          > or vehicle towing is the compulsory use of weak-links (usually 1.2G) in addition
          > to a "three ring circus" quick release.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Ian
          >
          > WinDesigns Australia:
          > 9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
          > Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
          > Mobile: 0414 716 812
          > Email: IanYoung@...
          > Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/

          > Know someone who deserves flowers? At proflowers.com, it's only $29.95
          >
          > plus S & H ($5.95 for most domestic locations) for one dozen roses and
          >
          > shipped direct from the grower via Fedex Priority Overnight.
          >
          > http://www.proflowers.com/eg.cfm
          >
          > Subscribe, unsubscribe, opt for a daily digest, or start a new e-group
          > at http://www.eGroups.com -- Free Web-based e-mail groups.

          Just few worlds to say that the most important thing to learn(to me) and
          know about Kitesurfing sport, is how manage the kite in any conditions.
          After that let's go on the water and have fun.
          For a 10 hours kitesurfing lesson, I teach 70% kites practice.

          I make traction kites(TRACTIONtm) since 1991 and practice traction sport
          since that time, this is my first kitesurfing season and it's going
          well.

          I agree with all those that are trying to make that sport very safe,
          this is the only one way to grow.

          Have nice breeze

          Michel Montminy
          www.conceptair.com