Re: [ksurf] Kitesailing or kiteboating group ?

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
      Dave,

      You have excited me in the past with all of your efforts in
      kitesailing but kiteship.com and the Outleader simply to replace the
      spinnaker was a bit of disappointement (for me) ...

      Don's venture (if it's true) excited me like no others have done in
      the past.

      P.S., If you want to expand the scope of kitesailing then I was
      "kiteboating" 35 years ago on a large basket sailing across a pond
      (small lake) with a single line kite.

      Hung.

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
      > >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
      > >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???
      >
      > Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster
      than any
      > lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
      > there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
      > a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
      > kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
      > ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
      > boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
      > materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)
      >
      > >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
      > >like kiteship or kiteboat.
      > >
      > >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
      > >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.
      >
      > I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
      > narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
      > that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
      > "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
      > definition.
      >
      > To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
      > boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
      > 12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
      > the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
      > smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
      > according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"
      >
      > Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
      > here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.
      >
      > FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
      > have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
      > other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
      > many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Dave Culp
    • bitme1234
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
        Who's kiteboasting when, where, how I wanna kite boast.

        OH YOU MEAN KITEBOATING.....

        wHERE, WHO ,HOW????? eVERyONE Was kung fu figh......ting.... who,
        how ,where, how long ago.... kung fu figh..........ting

        tOdD

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"

      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
          Shut up tOdD...

          P.S., On the other hand, keep on posting as this group is dieing
          compared to kiteforum.com ;-)

          Hung.