Re: [ksurf] Kitesailing or kiteboating group ?

  • dave@kiteship.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
      >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
      >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???

      Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster than any
      lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
      there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
      a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
      kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
      ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
      boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
      materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)

      >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
      >like kiteship or kiteboat.
      >
      >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
      >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

      I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
      narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
      that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
      "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
      definition.

      To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
      boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
      12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
      the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
      smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
      according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"

      Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
      here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.

      FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
      have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
      other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
      many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.

      Cheers,

      Dave Culp
    • Decay
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
        >P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
        >Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?
        >
        >Hung.

        Hung - Peter has been working on kiteboats for over 10 years - and most all
        of the prototypes are lying in and around his workshop in Ashburton.

        This new cat is in limited production - the hulls are moulded fibreglass -
        not one off foam/glass construction like the early designs.

        Dave Kay
        www.decaykiteboards.com
      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
          Dave,

          You have excited me in the past with all of your efforts in
          kitesailing but kiteship.com and the Outleader simply to replace the
          spinnaker was a bit of disappointement (for me) ...

          Don's venture (if it's true) excited me like no others have done in
          the past.

          P.S., If you want to expand the scope of kitesailing then I was
          "kiteboating" 35 years ago on a large basket sailing across a pond
          (small lake) with a single line kite.

          Hung.

          --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
          > >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
          > >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???
          >
          > Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster
          than any
          > lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
          > there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
          > a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
          > kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
          > ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
          > boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
          > materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)
          >
          > >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
          > >like kiteship or kiteboat.
          > >
          > >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
          > >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.
          >
          > I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
          > narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
          > that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
          > "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
          > definition.
          >
          > To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
          > boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
          > 12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
          > the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
          > smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
          > according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"
          >
          > Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
          > here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.
          >
          > FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
          > have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
          > other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
          > many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Dave Culp
        • bitme1234
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
            Who's kiteboasting when, where, how I wanna kite boast.

            OH YOU MEAN KITEBOATING.....

            wHERE, WHO ,HOW????? eVERyONE Was kung fu figh......ting.... who,
            how ,where, how long ago.... kung fu figh..........ting

            tOdD

            --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
              Shut up tOdD...

              P.S., On the other hand, keep on posting as this group is dieing
              compared to kiteforum.com ;-)

              Hung.