Re: [ksurf] Kitesailing or kiteboating group ?

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
      Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
      buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ??? On the other hand, a
      tandem water buggy may be useful in teaching the beginner about
      kitesailing before kitesurfing ...

      "Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
      like kiteship or kiteboat.

      The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
      in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

      Don claims that he can water relaunch the "beast" with a 5th line...

      P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
      Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?

      Hung.

      kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com or

    • dave@kiteship.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
        >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
        >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???

        Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster than any
        lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
        there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
        a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
        kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
        ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
        boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
        materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)

        >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
        >like kiteship or kiteboat.
        >
        >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
        >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

        I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
        narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
        that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
        "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
        definition.

        To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
        boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
        12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
        the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
        smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
        according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"

        Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
        here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.

        FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
        have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
        other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
        many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.

        Cheers,

        Dave Culp
      • Decay

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
            >P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
            >Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?
            >
            >Hung.

            Hung - Peter has been working on kiteboats for over 10 years - and most all
            of the prototypes are lying in and around his workshop in Ashburton.

            This new cat is in limited production - the hulls are moulded fibreglass -
            not one off foam/glass construction like the early designs.

            Dave Kay
            www.decaykiteboards.com
          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
              Dave,

              You have excited me in the past with all of your efforts in
              kitesailing but kiteship.com and the Outleader simply to replace the
              spinnaker was a bit of disappointement (for me) ...

              Don's venture (if it's true) excited me like no others have done in
              the past.

              P.S., If you want to expand the scope of kitesailing then I was
              "kiteboating" 35 years ago on a large basket sailing across a pond
              (small lake) with a single line kite.

              Hung.

              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
              > >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
              > >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???
              >
              > Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster
              than any
              > lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
              > there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
              > a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
              > kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
              > ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
              > boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
              > materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)
              >
              > >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
              > >like kiteship or kiteboat.
              > >
              > >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
              > >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.
              >
              > I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
              > narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
              > that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
              > "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
              > definition.
              >
              > To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
              > boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
              > 12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
              > the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
              > smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
              > according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"
              >
              > Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
              > here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.
              >
              > FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
              > have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
              > other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
              > many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Dave Culp
            • bitme1234
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                Who's kiteboasting when, where, how I wanna kite boast.

                OH YOU MEAN KITEBOATING.....

                wHERE, WHO ,HOW????? eVERyONE Was kung fu figh......ting.... who,
                how ,where, how long ago.... kung fu figh..........ting

                tOdD

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"

              • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Shut up tOdD...

                  P.S., On the other hand, keep on posting as this group is dieing
                  compared to kiteforum.com ;-)

                  Hung.