RE: [ksurf] Kitesailing or kiteboating group ?

  • Paul Tae
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
      In the August/September issue of Kiteboarding magazine on page 26 there
      is a photo of it pulling a catamaran. It says for more information to
      chaek out www.kiteboat.com but I couldn't find a photo of it there.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
        Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
        buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ??? On the other hand, a
        tandem water buggy may be useful in teaching the beginner about
        kitesailing before kitesurfing ...

        "Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
        like kiteship or kiteboat.

        The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
        in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

        Don claims that he can water relaunch the "beast" with a 5th line...

        P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
        Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?

        Hung.

      • dave@kiteship.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
          >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
          >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???

          Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster than any
          lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
          there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
          a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
          kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
          ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
          boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
          materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)

          >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
          >like kiteship or kiteboat.
          >
          >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
          >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

          I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
          narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
          that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
          "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
          definition.

          To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
          boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
          12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
          the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
          smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
          according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"

          Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
          here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.

          FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
          have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
          other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
          many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.

          Cheers,

          Dave Culp
        • Decay

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
              >P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
              >Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?
              >
              >Hung.

              Hung - Peter has been working on kiteboats for over 10 years - and most all
              of the prototypes are lying in and around his workshop in Ashburton.

              This new cat is in limited production - the hulls are moulded fibreglass -
              not one off foam/glass construction like the early designs.

              Dave Kay
              www.decaykiteboards.com
            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                Dave,

                You have excited me in the past with all of your efforts in
                kitesailing but kiteship.com and the Outleader simply to replace the
                spinnaker was a bit of disappointement (for me) ...

                Don's venture (if it's true) excited me like no others have done in
                the past.

                P.S., If you want to expand the scope of kitesailing then I was
                "kiteboating" 35 years ago on a large basket sailing across a pond
                (small lake) with a single line kite.

                Hung.

                --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
                > >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
                > >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???
                >
                > Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster
                than any
                > lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
                > there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
                > a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
                > kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
                > ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
                > boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
                > materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)
                >
                > >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
                > >like kiteship or kiteboat.
                > >
                > >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
                > >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.
                >
                > I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
                > narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
                > that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
                > "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
                > definition.
                >
                > To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
                > boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
                > 12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
                > the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
                > smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
                > according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"
                >
                > Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
                > here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.
                >
                > FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
                > have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
                > other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
                > many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Dave Culp
              • bitme1234
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Who's kiteboasting when, where, how I wanna kite boast.

                  OH YOU MEAN KITEBOATING.....

                  wHERE, WHO ,HOW????? eVERyONE Was kung fu figh......ting.... who,
                  how ,where, how long ago.... kung fu figh..........ting

                  tOdD

                  --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"

                • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                    Shut up tOdD...

                    P.S., On the other hand, keep on posting as this group is dieing
                    compared to kiteforum.com ;-)

                    Hung.