Kitesailing or kiteboating group ?

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
      Is there a group dedicated for boat (more than 2 persons) kite sailing ?

      Having seen a picture of Don's 100m2 LEI on a large cat and I started
      getting interested in boat kite sailing.

      P.S., Dave and Peter have been trying kitesailing in the past but
      kiteship.com is more or less trying to replace the spinnaker. Don's
      venture with the 100m2 LEI is quite different.

      Hung.
    • Stefano Rosso
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
        Where did you see this Hung ?

        Is there a group dedicated for boat (more than 2 persons) kite sailing ?

        Having seen a picture of Don's 100m2 LEI on a large cat and I started
        getting interested in boat kite sailing.

        P.S., Dave and Peter have been trying kitesailing in the past but
        kiteship.com is more or less trying to replace the spinnaker. Don's venture
        with the 100m2 LEI is quite different.

        Hung.

        http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        Em: support@...

      • dave@kiteship.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
          I'm interested, too, Hung. Their web site talks about 30 meters, and
          I heard about some (unsuccessful) trials with a 50 meter, but you've
          seen 100 meter LEI's? What sort of wind were they carrying it in? How
          did they manage the launch, etc?

          Great news, if they've pulled it off. Anyone heard more about Peter
          Lynn's newest kiteboat (not the surfboard thing, but his new kite
          powered catamaran?)

          Dave

          >Where did you see this Hung ?

        • Paul Tae
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
            In the August/September issue of Kiteboarding magazine on page 26 there
            is a photo of it pulling a catamaran. It says for more information to
            chaek out www.kiteboat.com but I couldn't find a photo of it there.

            Paul

            I'm interested, too, Hung. Their web site talks about 30 meters, and
            I heard about some (unsuccessful) trials with a 50 meter, but you've
            seen 100 meter LEI's? What sort of wind were they carrying it in? How
            did they manage the launch, etc?

            Great news, if they've pulled it off. Anyone heard more about Peter
            Lynn's newest kiteboat (not the surfboard thing, but his new kite
            powered catamaran?)

            Dave

            >Where did you see this Hung ?

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2004
              Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
              buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ??? On the other hand, a
              tandem water buggy may be useful in teaching the beginner about
              kitesailing before kitesurfing ...

              "Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
              like kiteship or kiteboat.

              The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
              in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

              Don claims that he can water relaunch the "beast" with a 5th line...

              P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
              Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?

              Hung.

            • dave@kiteship.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
                >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???

                Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster than any
                lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
                there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
                a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
                kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
                ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
                boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
                materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)

                >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
                >like kiteship or kiteboat.
                >
                >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
                >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.

                I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
                narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
                that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
                "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
                definition.

                To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
                boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
                12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
                the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
                smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
                according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"

                Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
                here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.

                FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
                have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
                other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
                many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.

                Cheers,

                Dave Culp
              • Decay

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                    >P.S., What happens to Peter's original water buggy that he used at
                    >Adelaide in 1999 (I like that one better) ?
                    >
                    >Hung.

                    Hung - Peter has been working on kiteboats for over 10 years - and most all
                    of the prototypes are lying in and around his workshop in Ashburton.

                    This new cat is in limited production - the hulls are moulded fibreglass -
                    not one off foam/glass construction like the early designs.

                    Dave Kay
                    www.decaykiteboards.com
                  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                      Dave,

                      You have excited me in the past with all of your efforts in
                      kitesailing but kiteship.com and the Outleader simply to replace the
                      spinnaker was a bit of disappointement (for me) ...

                      Don's venture (if it's true) excited me like no others have done in
                      the past.

                      P.S., If you want to expand the scope of kitesailing then I was
                      "kiteboating" 35 years ago on a large basket sailing across a pond
                      (small lake) with a single line kite.

                      Hung.

                      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, dave@k... wrote:
                      > >Peter's cat is more like a "water buggy". Why should one use a "water
                      > >buggy" instead of a small or large kiteboard ???
                      >
                      > Easier to fly, potentially faster (Lynn's kiteboat has sailed faster
                      than any
                      > lynn-powered kiteboard, to date. Who knows how fast they will be when
                      > there are more than a couple in the water?), drier, less athletic are
                      > a few. There are many more kitefliers than the ones you meet on a
                      > kitesurf beach. Top buggy speeds are above 70 mph. Nearly 20 years
                      > ago we were kite boating at speeds attainable only by the fastest
                      > boarders today--with old technology, obsolete kites and ancient
                      > materials. (We used to fly on *dacron* flying lines, folks)
                      >
                      > >"Don's 100m2 LEI and a big cat with a crew of half a dozen" is more
                      > >like kiteship or kiteboat.
                      > >
                      > >The pictures were taken by Erik Aeder and article written by Tom James
                      > >in the Aug-Sept Kiteboarding magazine.
                      >
                      > I look forward to reading the article. Hung, you seem to have
                      > narrowed the definition of "kiteboat" to a single boat. If you feel
                      > that Lynn cats are too small, and KiteShip kites are too
                      > "specialized", I guess that only leaves Don's newest work within your
                      > definition.
                      >
                      > To the best of my knowledge, there simply are no other kite powered
                      > boats using kites larger than 30 meters (the Lynn boats fly with
                      > 12-24 meters; all "beach cat" conversions use standard LEI's. Even
                      > the German Sky-Sail guys are currently experimenting with kites
                      > smaller than the ones used on Lynn boats). So, we have a single guy,
                      > according to a single article, building "kiteboats??"
                      >
                      > Does this boat really need its own discussion list? Perhaps right
                      > here in Kitesurf is the best place for such a limited discussion.
                      >
                      > FWIW, in addition to myself (27 years in kite boats; we currently
                      > have a 420 sq meter OutLeader kite in build) there are a dozen of so
                      > other kite powered boat projects ongoing throughout the world; plus
                      > many dozen current beach catamaran conversion projects.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Dave Culp
                    • bitme1234
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                        Who's kiteboasting when, where, how I wanna kite boast.

                        OH YOU MEAN KITEBOATING.....

                        wHERE, WHO ,HOW????? eVERyONE Was kung fu figh......ting.... who,
                        how ,where, how long ago.... kung fu figh..........ting

                        tOdD

                        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hungvuatnetcomdotca"

                      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 4, 2004
                          Shut up tOdD...

                          P.S., On the other hand, keep on posting as this group is dieing
                          compared to kiteforum.com ;-)

                          Hung.