Re: [ksurf] Best School

  • suntrax
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
      Did you try Flag Beach http://www.flagbeach.com in Corralejo, Feurteventura?
      they are first class.

      Best regards

      Brian

      (========o]></

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      Tel/fax 27 (0)21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      13 Bayside Centre
      Tableview
      Cape Town
      www.suntrax.co.za
      info@...
      Mon - Fri 9am-7pm
      Sat 9am-5pm
      Sun 9.30am- 2.00pm
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "GS" <gavin@...>
      To: <kitesurf@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 1:14 PM
      Subject: [ksurf] Best School

      > Hi guys
      > Am looking in for recommendation of a good school to take a break
      > mid / late sept.looking for best place in the med near by. (Not
      > Feurteventura - as did a week in May they can't fit me in until late
      > Oct)
      > What is Sardinia like? or Tarifa? or anywhere?
      >

      > Gavin

      > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
      > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
      > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
      > Em: support@...

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Paul Mallett
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
        Funny, I was looking for the same thing. You could try Egypt, maybe
        Hurghada - I went there last year in early December and the weather was
        sunny/warm although the wind wasn't fantastic- Colona watersports is pretty
        good and wind may be stronger in September. Hurghada itself is a bit of a
        mess - although if you stay in a decent hotel like the Hilton its not so
        bad.

        There's a school in Cyprus - SurfCyprus - swapped some emails with them and
        they say that they get something like 60% of days in Sept with force 3+. The
        resort is called Pissouri - the only thing is it looks REALLY quiet - not
        something you necessarily want if you're a single bloke looking for some
        action!

        Been windsurfing to quite a few resorts in Greece & Turkey that get the
        Meltemi wind - but can't find a kitesurf school. There are places that get
        cross/on-shore Meltemi - in which case maybe spend the money on kit and take
        it with you. Who needs lessons when the worse that can happen is that you
        get blown back into shore!

        > Am looking in for recommendation of a good school to take a break
        > mid / late sept.looking for best place in the med near by. (Not
        > Feurteventura - as did a week in May they can't fit me in until late
        > Oct)
        > What is Sardinia like? or Tarifa? or anywhere?
        >

        > Gavin

        > http://www.KiteHIGH.com
        > ph: 1 866 646 7835 Toll Free USA or
        > ph: 1 808 637 KITE (5483)
        > Em: support@...

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > ---
        > [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
        > to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
        > currently using to read this email. ]

      • Iain Wood
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
          On 3 Sep 2004, at 21:27, Paul (idiot) Mallett wrote:
          > Who needs lessons when the worse that can happen is that you
          > get blown back into shore!

          Sounds like you do mate.

          Iain
        • Iain Wood
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2004
            On 4 Sep 2004, at 00:10, Iain Wood wrote:

            > On 3 Sep 2004, at 21:27, Paul (idiot) Mallett wrote:
            >> Who needs lessons when the worse that can happen is that you
            >> get blown back into shore!
            >>

            > Sounds like you do mate.
            >
            > Iain

            On second thoughts, I apologise, that was a little hasty of me. Please
            do some background research. Find out about lofting, safe launch sites,
            basic kite control, read about a few kitemares etc.

            Its ALWAYS best to get some lessons first. Going it alone is dangerous.
            It's up to you what personal risks you take, but please bear in mind
            that your mistakes may contribute to bans and restrictions for the rest
            of us.

            be safe

            Iain
          • Neil Harper
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2004
              "Who needs lessons when the worse that can happen is that you
              get blown back into shore!"

              I thought the same, the worst that can happen is you kill an innocent
              bystander and or yourself getting dragged onshore out of control!

              The lesson comment was probably fair :-)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2004
                Did you read the original question? He's already been on at least one course
                of a week (in Fuerte) after which he should have had safety drummed into
                him. What he probably needs most of is more water time but obviously he's
                got to be careful about wind direction without safety cover.... Probably
                better off heading down to his local beach and chatting to a few of the
                regulars and then buying some kit rather than shelling out £300+ for another
                course. And no, I DONT need more lessons - I DO need more time on the water
                somewhere uncrowded with winds that dont mean someone end up ringing the
                coastguard to fish me out.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2004
                  On 4 Sep 2004, at 22:05, Paul (Not an Idiot) Mallett wrote:

                  > Did you read the original question?

                  Not well enough.

                  > He's already been on at least one course
                  > of a week (in Fuerte) after which he should have had safety drummed
                  > into
                  > him. What he probably needs most of is more water time but obviously
                  > he's
                  > got to be careful about wind direction without safety cover....

                  Point taken. I apologise to you Paul. I'm maybe a bit too twitchy on
                  safety issues..

                  > Probably
                  > better off heading down to his local beach and chatting to a few of the
                  > regulars and then buying some kit rather than shelling out £300+ for
                  > another course

                  Talking to the locals sounds like a great idea. There are things that a
                  school somewhere else cant teach.

                  > . And no, I DONT need more lessons - I DO need more time on the water
                  > somewhere uncrowded with winds that dont mean someone end up ringing
                  > the
                  > coastguard to fish me out.

                  Amen! We have prevailing Westerly winds on an East coast :-(

                  Iain
                • GS
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
                    Guys,
                    Thanks for your input....just to confirm I have already done a week
                    in Fuerte with Extreme Hols and it was great (especially the
                    safety...). I do need more time on the water now plus also some
                    sun...(though as luck goes Sept here in east anglia is looking
                    good!!!)but i have to consider my parner who wants to spend all day
                    sun bathing....am not too worried about cost just want the best
                    place...have looked at egypt over the weekend but it is packed
                    (flight wise) so will have to give a miss there this time.Just
                    looking at other recommendations?

                    Cheers

                    Gavin

                    --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Iain Wood <d.i.wood@n...> wrote:

                    > On 4 Sep 2004, at 22:05, Paul (Not an Idiot) Mallett wrote:
                    >
                    > > Did you read the original question?
                    >
                    > Not well enough.
                    >
                    > > He's already been on at least one course
                    > > of a week (in Fuerte) after which he should have had safety
                    drummed
                    > > into
                    > > him. What he probably needs most of is more water time but
                    obviously
                    > > he's
                    > > got to be careful about wind direction without safety cover....
                    >
                    > Point taken. I apologise to you Paul. I'm maybe a bit too twitchy
                    on
                    > safety issues..
                    >
                    > > Probably
                    > > better off heading down to his local beach and chatting to a few
                    of the
                    > > regulars and then buying some kit rather than shelling out £300+
                    for
                    > > another course
                    >
                    > Talking to the locals sounds like a great idea. There are things
                    that a
                    > school somewhere else cant teach.
                    >
                    > > . And no, I DONT need more lessons - I DO need more time on the
                    water
                    > > somewhere uncrowded with winds that dont mean someone end up
                    ringing
                    > > the
                    > > coastguard to fish me out.
                    > >

                    > Amen! We have prevailing Westerly winds on an East coast :-(
                    >

                    > Iain
                  • Neil Harper
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
                      Try looking at a german site http://www.stehsegelrevue.com/ they seem to