Large bidirectional .vs. diretional for light wind

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18 12:43 AM
      This time of the year, lightwind rules in our area and everyone is
      "dying" to be able to kite.

      So I took the 169 Litewave for a real light wind test run and got tons
      of attentions (as usual, when you go extremely fast in such little wind
      compared to the slow-motion of all other wind-powered water crafts)

      Here are my observations:

      - The Litewave 169 is surely a lightwind machine for me, and for
      heavier kiters, I think Dave makes even larger sizes
      - The Litewave 169 tracks very very well (it simply doesn't want to
      get out of its track) even more so when compared to a larger directional
      - The Litewave 169 is much smaller than a large directional (such as
      the FOne 230), but on water it feels very close to one
      - I made some small 5 - 10' jumps ( in 7 to 10 knots) and for sure
      the 169 jumps better than the FOne 230
      - Speed wise, I thought the 169 was going almost as fast as any large
      directional (with better tracking ability)
      - For jibing, I still prefer a directional but many kiters may not
      agree with me due to the difficulty of jibing a directional.
      - Either directional or bidirectional, It simply felt great to be
      able to glide on the water so fast in such a light wind

      So large bidirectionals for sure work well in light wind (at least winth
      the Litewave boards) and jump better but may not jibe as fun as
      directionals...

      P.S., When I got back to the beach, a crowd came over and started asking
      questions - as usual in light wind - as in light wind, there are more
      people on the beach and there isn't anything more exciting out there
      except for a light wind kitesurfer.

      P.P.S., Kiting in light wind is actually a wonderful PR tool for
      kitesurfing as it is much safer and people can appreciate and
      comprehense it more and become less likely to "hate" it when the going
      get tough...

      P.P.P.S., I was using a "small" 16m kite and definitely could go out in
      lighter wind with a larger kite.

      P.P.P.P.S., To promote lightwind kiting, we should have some form of
      lightwind competition when the wind must be 10 knots or less (These
      types of competition will make the beach-goers appreciate kiting more
      and likely to support us at the city councils meetings - that kiters are
      not a bunch of misbehaving guys but a group of "geniuses" who can defy
      the law of light wind sailing).

      Hung.