Cabrinha Nitro Jellyfishing

  • TheYellowJersey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14 5:17 AM
      I just spent a frustrating week with my Nitro 17. I'm out at my local
      spot in 6-20mph winds, lots of holes. My Nitro has been jellyfishing
      like crazy and I have to constantly work the kite. I'm watching
      everyone else out on 12's and 14's with their kites rock steady and
      not having to work them. I got out the manual and and double checked
      the set up, flying the kite overhead and making sure the wing tips
      are parallel to the last batten and the rear lines are just taunt.
      The kite still jellyfished. I also tried flying my 14m Nitro in the
      same conditiions but couldn't generate enough power to really get
      going. Finally yesterday the wind seemed to settle down somewhat so
      the kite jellyfished a lot less.

      I tried a Caution Spitfire 14m ( a mid aspect ratio) kite yesterday
      and it was rock steady.

      So it seems like the culprit is the high aspect ratio of the Nitro's.
      I'm wondering if the mid aspect ratio CO2's would be any better in
      these conditions. I'm seriously considering dumping my Nitro quiver
      for something else.

      Has anyone else experienced this with the Nitro?
    • woodman_k
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14 6:17 AM
        Hi
        I have a nitro 14 and it does not JF. I did need to make the rear
        line quite a lot shorter than delivered though. Also it likes to be
        pumped hard and wants a bit of rear line tension. If you really ride
        it depowererd and soft LE then it will do the wiggle.
        Very nice kite IMO and has improved my transistions a lot.

        Stan

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "TheYellowJersey"
        <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
        > I just spent a frustrating week with my Nitro 17. I'm out at my
        local
        > spot in 6-20mph winds, lots of holes. My Nitro has been
        jellyfishing
        > like crazy and I have to constantly work the kite. I'm watching
        > everyone else out on 12's and 14's with their kites rock steady
        and
        > not having to work them. I got out the manual and and double
        checked
        > the set up, flying the kite overhead and making sure the wing tips
        > are parallel to the last batten and the rear lines are just taunt.
        > The kite still jellyfished. I also tried flying my 14m Nitro in
        the
        > same conditiions but couldn't generate enough power to really get
        > going. Finally yesterday the wind seemed to settle down somewhat
        so
        > the kite jellyfished a lot less.
        >
        > I tried a Caution Spitfire 14m ( a mid aspect ratio) kite
        yesterday
        > and it was rock steady.
        >
        > So it seems like the culprit is the high aspect ratio of the
        Nitro's.
        > I'm wondering if the mid aspect ratio CO2's would be any better in
        > these conditions. I'm seriously considering dumping my Nitro
        quiver
        > for something else.
        >
        > Has anyone else experienced this with the Nitro?
      • stuartcocksedge1968
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14 6:05 PM
          could anyone tell me what advantages there would be in adding a
          middle fin to my Naish TT pro 134...does it help with going
          upwind....if so what are the downsides to putting one on ?

          thanks

          stuart
        • hink_trent
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14 8:59 PM
            <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:

            > Has anyone else experienced this with the Nitro?

            Make sure you have enough pressure in the leading edge, If you are
            sure the lines are set up correctly then probably you need more air
            pressure.
          • martinez_cavalla
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 17 9:55 AM
              --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "hink_trent" <hink_trent@y...> wrote:
              > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "TheYellowJersey"
              > <jeromedayton@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > Has anyone else experienced this with the Nitro?
              >
              > Make sure you have enough pressure in the leading edge, If you are
              > sure the lines are set up correctly then probably you need more air
              > pressure.

              If the lines are correctly setup and you have good pressure, that
              means your kite is out of order, you fall down it strongly on land?,
              sometime after that the kite is not symmetrical. carlos martinez,
              carlosmartinez@... www.chilekite.cl