RE: [ksurf] Kiting and Surfing in Cuba in Dec-Jan?

  • Paul Tae
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
      I have been kiteboarding in both Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo.
      Both times I only used my biggest kite (17m). However I was there in
      June the first time and November the second time. I was told that the
      wind is much stronger in Jan-March. It is side-onshore from the East or
      ENE.
      I recommend the launch. The waves never get very big as the
      water doesn't get over 12ft deep for quite a ways out.
      I stayed at Melia Cayo Guillermo the first time. The food was
      good. I would recommend it and may be going back next Jan.
      The second time I stayed at Melia Cayo Coco. Again I would
      recommend it but it has changed to adults only. I always launched from
      the upwind (East) end of the resort.
      At both resorts the beach is a little narrow but with some help
      from my wife launching wasn't too bad.
      I think there is a great potential for some butter flat water on
      the south side of the keys if you feel like venturing out of the resort.
      You'd probably need a car to explore and find a good place to launch
      from but it might be worth it if you are there for a while. When I was
      there the paragliders were very friendly and interested in the kites.
      Perhaps they could be of some help.
      If you have any other questions about the other resorts, let me
      know they are all quite close and I check most of them out while I was
      there.

      Cheers,
      Paul

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
        I was at Varadero Cuba for 2 weeks last Xmast and it was excellent
        (kite 70% of the time and the other 30% of the time, the wind was so
        strong - I brought along only 1 kite). Read the thread
        http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/message/67616 and

        P.S., Remember to bring some old kiting equipment that you no longer
        use and donate to the local life-guards when you leave (they want to
        learn but can't get any equipment in Cuba)

        Hung.

        --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "loco" <loco4olas@h...> wrote:
        > Anyone know anything, or where to find it, on kiting and surfing in Cuba
        > please?
        >
        > Planning on a littel unusual trip.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > loco 4 you
      • Raul F Argilagos
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2004
          Loco how do you plan on getting there, with the new restrictions
          from the US?

          On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:45:37 +1000 "loco" <loco4olas@...> writes:
          > Anyone know anything, or where to find it, on kiting and surfing in
          > Cuba
          > please?
          >
          > Planning on a littel unusual trip.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.