Lofting danger!

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2004
      I got my first serious lofting experience today and fortunately in the
      water so I was very calm and observed all the facts to report it here.

      1- The wind was very gusty probably from 10 to 30 knots.
      2- I was struggling to trying to come back to the beach (a very narrow
      section of the beach around 200' or so)
      3- The gust came unexpectly and lift me 20' in the air and probably 50'
      down wind

      My observation:

      Forget about trying to unhook or "pulling on something", lofting happens
      so fast that I AM NOW VERY SURE that only "dropping the bar" MAY
      (probably 40% to 50% "MAY") work.

      P.S., I was using a GlobeRider 12m and a small custom board.

      P.P.S., This is not tea-bagging as tea-bagging only on lift 5' or so.

      P.P.P.S., It was fun in the water but I bet it would not be so fun on
      land...

      Hung.