re;Kiteboarding in Platttsburgh, NY?

  • Dennis Lent
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21 6:02 AM
      You'll find pretty good kiting there especially on south winds. Prolly not
      up to Marshall Islands standards but the season with a drysuit can go from
      when the ice melts (Marchish) to around Thanksgiving. Then you'll be happy
      to know you'll be in one of the great areas for snowkiting so you really can
      kite 12 months a year. (You've got the kites, you'll only have to invest in
      an ole pair skis or a snowboard). THe water temps vary from hard in the
      winter to bathing suits in the summer. The fall is probably my favorite
      season there. The warm southerlies blow up the 150 mile Champlain corridor
      creating epic winds and some nice waves. Basically winds are frontal but
      over the entire season I'd say 3 to 4 days a week of 15 + winds is the
      average. From mid-July to Mid August it gets a little dead (good time to
      vakay around there) but overall I don't think you'll be disapointed. You'll
      need kites to carry you from 10 to 30+ and rubber from shorties to dry.
      It a great laid back area to ride with not much crowds (and the issues
      they bring) and a small, but spirited group of riders. There's a couple of
      the crowd who post on kiteforum.com. You might want to hook up with them.
      Plattsburgh is a little bit of a ghost town since the Air Force base
      closed but there's a university there, rents are cheap and its just a
      beautiful area with the Green Mountains on the east side of the lake and the
      Adirondacs on the west.