PRO RIDER LOFTED!

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2004
      Carrying on a tradition started by other prominent riders such as Neil
      Hutchinson, Dimitri Maramenides, Kent Marinkovic, Paul Menta and others,
      Shannon Best is the latest well known kiteboarder to share details of a
      kiteboarding incident/accident.

      This isn't a" Best" thing or anything other than another well known rider
      deciding to try to help out other kiteboarders by passing along some hard
      won, often painful experience. Shannon could have kept this information to
      himself as so many other riders have done in the past but instead he elected
      to pass along the details as have the other riders listed, some more than
      once.

      So, for well known kiteboarders, when you learn something important that
      will help to keep you whole and healthy, why not pass along your experiences
      along to the rest of us? Feel free to email information to me privately at
      <flkitesurfer@...> or by PM to ricki.

      Shannon's story about a recent, nasty lofting inland follows at:

      http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=131

      Under: PRO RIDER LOFTED!

      N.B. - "LOFTING" = the state of involuntarily being picked up and hurled
      downwind by your kite when it is hit by a windgust.

      Thanks Shannon for passing along your experiences in the School Of Hard
      Knocks.
      _________________
      FKA, Inc.
      transcribed by: Rick Iossi

      KEEP 'EM FLYING: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2300704
      FKA Column: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=131
    • ichiman1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 16, 2004
        Thanks for very useful information. I would like to ask a question
        and also provide my 2 cents worth.

        1. Why did Shannon drop the kite 35 ft in the air instead of trying
        to steer it (and himself) towards the water? Should't you try to
        fly the kite while getting lofted?

        2. I was lofted 4m last month in the stupidest classical way... kite
        drifted back in the power zone in a lull then shot up in a gust
        while launching. I reacted by keeping the kite over my head and
        pulling the control bar fully in to stall it (I use foils), which
        reversed the kite's ascent and gave me a super soft landing on my
        feet. Shouldn't inflatos be designed to allow for controlled
        stalling?

        3. At my beach (Sydney, Australia) experienced kiters launch with
        the kite towards the beach and the rider in the water. I always
        have (and always will) launch with the kite towards the water and me
        standing on the beach. Am I wrong?

        Thanks again

        Ichiman