Re: [ksurf] Takoon : the end ?

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
      In a message dated 6/2/2004 12:32:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      tom.waldner@... writes:

      > Does kitesurfing offer any convenience advantages over windsurfing?
      > Ok you can get up and have fun in 10knts wind, and yea it´s a blast
      > once you get going(i´m hooked), but the hassle of solo launching and
      > bladders and a 3-5 kite quiver bla bla bla....And yes, the equipment
      > is much easier to travel with, this is a big advantage for people
      > that have the time and budget to go travelling to kite spots around
      > the world, but I still need a good sized car for 3 kites, 2 boards
      > and related stuff.
      >
      > Interesting subject....
      >
      > Tom Waldner

      Yes windsurfing is expensive and equipment intensive too. BUT,
      I've seen a few guys go back to windsurfing for physical
      reasons and 'forgiveness' reasons. Because when
      you 'fall' on a windsurfer it's no big deal. You just grab the board-an arm'
      length from you, usually and re-waterstart in seconds. In large surf is
      different though, but that's not usually the case in 95% of windsurfing.

      When you lose control of a kite, IT crashes OR you get dragged through
      the water, gobbling, until you have the ability to re-zenith the Kite OR you
      have to
      relaunch from water (grrr) OR you have to watch out for others more OR you
      get dragged on land, rocks, objects, etc...
      Yeah, windsurfing is MUCH more forgiving but I'd still rather kite
      myself. It's about getting serious air lift that windsurfing can't come close
      to.

      Thanks for the interesting replys, so far.
      Scott